Where to buy 15" Anti-Glare MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlueMoonForever, Jan 19, 2014.

1. BlueMoonForever macrumors 6502

What about those of us who have no need for a retina MBP and need a kesington lock port? What about those of us who need a CD-ROM drive? Those of us who can't work off using a mirror, where do we purchase from? I can't find an Anti-Glare 15" MBP anywhere. Every place I've looked only has the retina macbook pro, which I don't want or the 15" with the 1440x900 glossy display.

Can someone help me out? Thanks

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's almost impossible to get one these days.

Unless you're interested in buying my Early-2011 15" MBP: 2.3GHz quad-core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 1GB Radeon 6750M and antiglare screen.

The SuperDrive is still there, I did not OptiBay it.

But I'd be hard-pressed to part with it, because I love the antiglare screen better than my 15" retina :)

3. BlueMoonForever thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm looking for the 2012 model new with the AG high-res screen. I desire this model because the GPU is good and its upgradable.

4. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Check the refurbs, otherwise craigslist or ebay... Sorry, Apple is turning its back on people who want things like useable screens and expandability.

5. BlueMoonForever thread starter macrumors 6502

Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm not bashing the retina line, as I'm sure they're very nice but it's not what I need.

Craigslist and eBay don't have new macbook pros with anti glare screens.

6. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

People who have them are hanging on to them.

7. BlueMoonForever thread starter macrumors 6502

I can see why. I don't see why they don't offer them along side the retina models.

8. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Because they would outsell the retina models. The only reason the 13 inch is still sold is that it would almost eliminate macs from college campuses if they stopped selling it.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As stated by others Apple has moved on and you cannot get the configuration you mentioned. I will say similar complaints were made when Apple moved away from the 3inch floppy disk with the Bondi Blue iMac (with regards to the optical drive).

Glossy displays are the future, most if not all computer makers have embraced this, including apple. I understand many people prefer it for a number of reasons but the simple fact is apple isn't selling it. The retina display is to thin to have any extra layers on it, in fact its laminated to the top cover and has not glass unlike the 2011 models.

The display is not as glossy as prior MBPs and tbh, its fine, but I understand not everyone cares for them. You're only option is to buy used or refurb as mentioned.

10. BlueMoonForever thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess I'll just keep checking the Apple refurb store for one. Again, this is absolutely ridiculous.

11. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Go to refurb.me and pull up the config you want there. You can set up an alert so they will auto-email you the next time it is in stock.

12. BlueMoonForever thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. That helps out a lot.