Where to buy a cheaper current mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mayhone1, Dec 1, 2011.

1. mayhone1 macrumors regular

I may be in the market for a new computer sometime, so I am wondering where could I buy a cheaper mac pro? what stores/websites should I check I want it to be at least 2008, although the newer the better, but have limited funds for buying.

Any help would be great. :apple:

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Refurb store, Craigslist, eBay...

3. mayhone1 thread starter macrumors regular

is there more refeb stores than just apple's?

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Not sure...

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yes, but Apple refurbs are like new. They have a full warranty like new. They include all accessories like new.

Third party "refurbs" appear to be nothing more than used computers that they've cleaned up and installed a fresh OS on. The warranty is typical 90 days or less. Items like the installed software and installation discs that originally came with the computer are typically missing. Think of them more as used computers bought from a business as opposed to used computers bought from an individual.

6. ericthered macrumors member

maybe http://www.powermax.com/preowned_macs
    They helped me out a time or two.

worth a click...

7. farfelu5251 macrumors newbie

-

Try amazon.com. They have slightly older models to sell.

8. YosemiteSam, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

YosemiteSam macrumors member

I just bought a 2008 2x2.8GHz (eight core) a few weeks ago from macofalltrades.com. They seemed to have much better prices than other avenues (PowerMax, LA Craigslist, eBay), and so far I'm pretty happy. Shipped nicely, though I did have to buy my own OS install disks as it didn't come with any disks (Leopard pre-installed). The included 90 day warranty was enough for me to make sure that there aren't any shady things going on with any of the components (1-year warranty available for purchase, too). For what it's worth, the case arrived in beautiful condition- hard to believe it was used and nearly 4 years old.

Anyway, it's an option. Don't see anything newer than 2008 on there right now, but it changes so it might be worth continuing to check.

Good luck.

9. mayhone1 thread starter macrumors regular

This might be exactly what I need Thank you...

10. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Here's what I'd do:

- Apple refurbished 2009 for $2039 (link)
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB871LL/A
    - update 4,1 firmware to 5,1 firmware for free (link to automated app)
    http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,852.0.html
    - upgrade RAM from OWC as needed (buy 1333MHz type for 2010 Mac Pro) which just dropped another $5 today
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#1333-memory
    - upgrade CPU to W3680 for $587
    http://www.provantage.com/intel-bx80613w3680~7ITEP374.htm

Now you have a brand new (from Apple refurb store, with AppleCare) 2010 Mac Pro 3.33GHz 6-core with say 16GB RAM for $2766. Can't beat that very easily!

11. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Or, if you're worried about upgrading chips and firmware, this 2010 is a pretty awesome machine for only $2119
    http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/product/FC560LL/A
    Throw some 16GB RAM in there for $140 and you're cooking with gas.

How much are you looking to spend?

12. mayhone1 thread starter macrumors regular

I should have a bit over $2000 like a few hundred not counting for the monitor which I still have to find.

13. goferit macrumors newbie

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

B+H cleared those $2039 ones at $1900 over a year ago. Some people on the board have purchased that 2009 model used for $1000-1500 I think you could find a used one much cheaper, and I'd go used as swapping the cpu is going to completely void all warranties anyway.

15. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

That would be awesome. The cheapest Mac Pro B&H sells as of right now is this one. It's more than the 2010 model in the Apple Refurbished section.

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Yes although it's a new 2010 model for $200 below the Apple price. That is still the current model. The 2.66ghz model was the one they previously sold at $1900. Right now I'm waiting to see what the next round looks like. Unfortunately Sandy Bridge E doesn't look too amazing, but it should be enough of a speed advantage, and given the lower debut pricing on the 6 core cpus this round, perhaps the mac pro pricing will be a bit more sane :rolleyes:.

17. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Here's a cheap 2009 I just found.

I'll never buy new from Apple again, not that mine was a bad experience. Just that I know better now. Had I known Apple Store refurbs were as good or better than new, I could have saved a few hundred dollars there. The 2010 in Apple's refurb section is $2119, and the same one with same AppleCare is $2304 at B&H.

I'm interested to see what Apple comes out with, too. I was just trying to help.

18. mayhone1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help. I really need it...

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I get you. I think if Apple comes out with new ones soon, most likely early next year, you'd see some nice clearance prices on the current 2010s. I don't have a set buying pattern. It's all about where I can find the best price on them at the moment. In the case of single socket mac pros, I think they're priced quite high (by Apple) for what is being offered, so anything to knock a few hundred off is excellent.

20. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

I bought the exat same model, but from uk refurb store +3% Cashback - so around £1600, I looked around eBay, but didn't seem to be much price difference vs getting a refurb (new) model from apple.

21. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

a bit over 2k and looking for a decent monitor hahaha don't buy a mac pro you would have to be stupid to

buy a 2011 iMac 27inch i7 3.4ghz

it will come with a much more powerful processor then any 2008 model and with less cores it will be probably 3x performance on most tasks in stead of 2x (more cores aren't as good as higher clocked fewer ones)

it comes stock with a 1tb drive upgrade it to 2 which is more then enough for most people and if not with thunderbolt you will be able to get a whole lot more without any speed decrease

get the 6970 with 2gb it is munch faster then the stock gnu of 2010 models 5770 even though it is mobile because it is a newer card

and don't get a monitor or spend the few hundred bucks for the monitor for an iPad!

because the iMac comes stock with a $1k thunderbolt display so how would u want a mac pro after hearing this

22. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

iMac can't dissipate heat very well. If you do heavy work, that's a critical issue. Say you bought that used Mac Pro for $1600. Then for free, update firmware to 2010. I just saw someone bought the W3680 chip for under $500. RAM is only $438 at OWC for 32GB@1333MHz now. Monitors can be had for a couple hundred. Why not spend $2800 for a Mac Pro with 3.33GHz 6-core and 32GB of 1333 RAM instead of spending $2200 for the iMac and another $780 to OWC on 32GB of RAM which totals about $3000 with only four cores and .07 faster processor? Building the Mac Pro can be/is cheaper for a better machine that won't suffer a heat stroke.

23. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

For all the usual reasons. Want internal hard drives. Want lots of memory. Dual optical drives. Choice of monitors. More cores. Cool and silent. Real GPUs (I notice you compared the top of the line iMac GPU to the bottom of the line MP GPU). Many monitor support. PCIe expansion slots. Upgradable GPU, CPU, and memory. Possibility to use cheap PC GPUs. Possibility to use SLI/Crossfire. Redundant ethernet.

Okay, that last one was a stretch.

24. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

the '$1000' monitor you get with the iMac also double ups as a $1000 mirror

The iMacs are great for low / mid workloads

I o my mp as I need quicker turnarounds on video rendering/encoding etc and generally something that will work it's nads off 24/7 without moaning. I can also plug in MATTE displays.

25. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

um how about this most people don't want to go through the hassle of installing a new processor in the mac pro and any system how about this for 500 u upgrade the iMac to a 3.3ghz intel core i9 6 core and have a machine that gets 20k on gekkbench cus i don't want to and how about instead of a decent monitor for a couple hundred i get a 1k one thrown in and ok if u want to go there then say u just bought a used iMac 2010 2.93 i7 and upgrade that for the same but get it for 1400 think about it