Where to buy a New but old mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ScrappyCoco, Jan 24, 2014.

1. ScrappyCoco macrumors newbie

is it officially the end of the old mac pro being available at a retail since bhphoto removed them. i cant find em anywhere besides the apple refurbished store. is there anyplace to buy new?

2. Mac Gus macrumors regular

A few weeks ago they had new old Mac Pros at the Microcenter near me.

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

It looks like Arlington, TX Fry's might still have a MD770LL/A.

Apple refurbs are pretty good, much better than refurbs from other companies. They also come with the normal full year warranty and are eligible for Apple Care.

4. echoout macrumors 6502a

That's apparently a nonexistent demo in Arlington. Tried to buy it months ago.

5. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

At this time sort of difficult to find a brand new old Mac Pro. Your other option is the Apple Refurbished store http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_pro Right now they're offering a 3.2ghz Quad. Sometimes in Amazon a third party seller may offer a brand new tower Mac Pro. Your other option option is you may find a mint, lightly used unit as closest to brand new.

6. Mac Gus macrumors regular

http://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/overland-park.aspx

call these guys and see if they still have old mac pros in stock. They had them not long ago. They actually had both the old and new model when I was there maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago. Maybe they would ship to you if you're still interested.

7. ScrappyCoco thread starter macrumors newbie

bestbuy.com has gotten some stock for some reason they have both the quad and 12 core

8. OS6-OSX macrumors 6502a

OS6-OSX

Yea, a 12 core for $3799.99!:eek:
    Is this cMP located in their stock room or on stage at their comedy club!:p
    $3800.00! Now that's funny!:D

9. CH12671 macrumors 6502

I guess I'm missing something...seems like a good deal to me, especially for someone still wanting the cMP new in box.

It's actually a dual 6 core processor rather than a 12 core processor, but still, I'm not really sure why that seems so absurd..

10. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

It's absurd because the CPU in the dual 6 core model is about 4 years old now.

To give you an idea, on Passmark the new 6 core Mac Pro which costs only marginally more is literally faster in both single-threaded and multi-threaded benchmarks than the "old" 12 core Mac Pro. That is, a 6 core Mac Pro which costs $3,999 is faster in both single and multi-threaded performance than a Mac Pro which costs $3,799.

I can understand that some people would rather have the upgradability, but I think it's fair to say that the price mentioned is difficult to justify.

11. echoout macrumors 6502a

I'm a huge cMP advocate but I wouldn't personally pay more than $1600 for any configuration. If that means used (which it almost certainly does), then right on.

12. wildmac, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

wildmac macrumors 65816

Where? don't see them listed.

nvm found them.. they didn't show up in a search.

13. CH12671 macrumors 6502

I recognize that it's old tech. I just thought everyone who wanted the cMP because it was so much more "upgrade-able" would feel relieved that there are still outlets where they can get new in box cMP's, and then upgrade the tech in it. You're right, probably isn't worth more than 15 or 16 bills since one would have to pour lots of money into it upgrading it. However, it isn't too absurd to think that Best Buy would like to not take a huge bath on these, and I doubt Apple will subsidize them since they want the nMP to be sold. JMO, not worth much really....

14. wildmac macrumors 65816

They appear to be new.

Now this is where it gets interesting... The Quad version is $2500.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/mac-pro-quad-core-intel-174-xeon-174-processor-6gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive/4837446.p?id=1218541224470&skuId=4837446&st=categoryid$abcat0501000&cp=2&lp=9

So the nMP Quad is $500 more, and you get a lot more really.

If they were blowing these out at $1800.. then maybe.

15. CH12671 macrumors 6502

Agreed on all counts...but that doesn't mean it's absurd for BB to ask this price, since they would most certainly loose lots of money if they sold it for what it is actually worth at this point. Honestly, I don't know what their answer is. Maybe (doubtful) Apple will help them out by buying the new units back, and selling them as "refurbs?"

16. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

People who place a high value on something (e.g., upgradability) should be willing to pay for it. If they aren't then they really don't place a high value on the feature.

CPU wise sure the 2012 models are outclasses, but any store at this point still holding those isn't trying to sell Mac Pro's to CPU focused folks. It is going to be continuity, conservative... "I love boxes with slot" folks. As long as the refurb market is 'tightly constrained' there aren't going to be alot of other options. ( so the price isn't going to tank. ) [BestBuy and Amazon had "firesales" earlier in the year ... so they aren't sitting on massive inventory of old Mac Pros ]

17. wildmac macrumors 65816

I do have to wonder now how long there will be Mac versions of PCI/PCIe video cards now with the nMP change. You might buy a cMP now, and not be able to get a new video card in 2 years...

18. echoout macrumors 6502a

That's a great point, but on the other hand, I don't trust that anything we use on any computer will be compatible in 2 years. Seriously. Software and hardware are just changing so fast. I look at my gear from 2 years ago and it seems almost silly how things have "progressed".

19. wildmac macrumors 65816

Yep, but we also went through a 3-year phase where there were VERY few video card options for the cMP, which was fixed with 10.8, and now has been taken away again.

20. echoout macrumors 6502a

With 10.9 you mean? A really long project luckily kept me out of Mavericks-land so I'm still up and running. And sounds like just a matter of time for the new drivers.

21. wildmac macrumors 65816

No, taken away with the nMP.. :)

22. echoout macrumors 6502a

Oh man, with dual Titans (and dual 780Tis on the way) I'm not feeling too neglected. But I hear you. GPU love by Apple is a good thing.

23. teeck2000 macrumors regular

24. RoastingPig, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

25. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

10.8 was a fluke more so driven by fact that Mac Pro 2012 rolled out with 2009 era video cards. It had a pre-built-in market for aftermarket GPU cards from the start. Throw on top Apple's almost 11 month EU market outage and even Apple had high incentive to get 3rd party GPUs into existing Mac Pros to stopgap users from leaving Mac Pro platform for the short-intermediate term.

All the indicators point to the market being too small to support the effort to deliver supported solutions. A large fraction of folks do buy cards go for firmware hacks that mostly work that they don't have to pay for. Nobody wants to pay for the R&D and it will likely die off over time or go to even slower pace.

The only counter balances appears so far to be Apple's approach of largely relabeling with minor differences of consumer level cards for their embedded designs. If continue with that tactic they hack/tweaked firmware market will track them with some amount of ease. Similarly Mac Pro GPU design bake off loser will may also leak out some support to try to boost some dGPU cards sales (at least on this next bake-off).