Where to buy a new display

mike.maz.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
I just got a 2018 macbook pro in january this year, great computer but the stupid screen display broke when i picked it up while closed. warranty wont cover it because there is evidence of physical damage. pretty frustrating.
anyway, the 'apple certified' shop wants to charge me $800 for the part and $150 for labor

they wont give me any part information to source my own fix. wondering if anyone has some information on where to buy a new display for a 2018 macbook pro 15" model a1990. anything cheaper than 800 would be great haha

Stephen.R

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand

mike.maz.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
fair enough. thanks for the lead.

and im also confused. i closed it, moved it from point a to point b with one hand, no dropping or bumping, and opened it to a streak of dead pixel lines. in my head i was thinking that was ridiculous and there is no way they wont cover it. but here we are.

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm not sure about other countries but, in Canada, authorized Apple repair centre are not allowed to sell OEM parts to a customer for a self-install. This may have changed since I last spoke with an Apple tech which was a few months ago.

ilikewhey

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
sounds like the top case of the display took a blunt hit or something, thats what happened to my first laptop which was an hp at the time. these new mbp r quite fragile, depending on where you live, in nyc there are a number of skilled repairman that can fix it for half the price,

jerryk

macrumors 601
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
fair enough. thanks for the lead.

and im also confused. i closed it, moved it from point a to point b with one hand, no dropping or bumping, and opened it to a streak of dead pixel lines. in my head i was thinking that was ridiculous and there is no way they wont cover it. but here we are.
What did they say was the physical damage? Is the case dented, are there cracks radiating from a point, or ???.

If you want, take pictures of the screen, and bottom and top of the case and post them.

mike.maz.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
there is a tiny visible crack at the bottom of the display. but absolutely zero marks on the screen glass, or on the back on the case. absolutely nothing touched it but me and the surfaces i removed/placed it on *gently.

worth noting that the vertical line of pixels measures exactly to where my thumb would sit picking it up from the side. i would say it was likely that something got in between when i closed the display, except that the glass is not scuffed the least, and im pretty dilligent when it comes to expensive computers.
that being said its pretty lame if your screen breaks from the pressure of picking it up while closed.
[doublepost=1550891582][/doublepost]couple pictures

Attachments

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
I would chance taking it to an Apple store and seeing what they will do... From the photos, I can't see any points of impact.

mike.maz.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
i took it to an 'ultimac' apple certified shop. theres is a tiny crack that they are calling a point of impact and evidence of physical damage, voiding warranty. even though there is not evidence of an impact on anything elese.

jerryk

macrumors 601
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
i took it to an 'ultimac' apple certified shop. theres is a tiny crack that they are calling a point of impact and evidence of physical damage, voiding warranty. even though there is not evidence of an impact on anything elese.
Any impact would void the warranty.

My daughter closed her screen on a ear bud. She quickly realized that the silicon earbud was there and opened it back up. Later she turned it on and they was a tiny chip in the display and similar lines. $450 (2011 13" non-retina) later we had a new screen.

She later dropped a soda can on the outside and that destroyed a second display. I made her pay for that out her own pocket. Took a month's wages at her hostessing gig.