Where to buy Absinthe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Visit site
It is legal in the UK I know that (you need to be 19 to buy it though for some weird reason).
Given that the post you're replying to is nearly two years old, I would assume the OP figured this out by now!

:)

But seriously, how weird that this threat comes to life every 10 months or so, by Absinthe shills who sign up to MacRumors for no other reason than to leave a single post advertising their site...!

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Absinthe will knock your head off, reach down your neck and rip out your spine.

Good fun!

But, don't drink any if your working the next day - i speak from experience!

;)

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Not sure if this has already been mentioned but http://www.eabsinthe.com/ is great. I bought a bottle not too long ago, it arrived within two days. Its UK based and they have a massive selection.

I bought some of this.

It is VERY strong. I like strong stuff but damn it literally burns your lips. I didnt know you shouldnt drink Absinthe neat and I have done many times in the past :eek: but this sucker you physically can't.

If you add water it actually increases the flavour which for me is the best part.

I pour a shot of absinthe (measured by eye) :D add half a teaspoon of sugar and mix it in REALLY well, then add 2 measures of water. It will still blow your head off but it lasts longer and the flavour is much more intense.

Dont drink too much because the woodworm affects the same shizzat that cannabis does so if you are driving the next day be careful.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
But is it any good?

Any takers?
At $75 a bottle, I'm also waiting for someone else to hand in a review. Although BevMo now has Lucid (French) and Kubler (Swiss), maybe I'll wander over there for one of those, which are bound to be cheaper.

Folks do know that the thujone thing is an absolute myth, right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe#Effects

I just happen to like anise flavor a lot (Sambuka is also a favorite). Although moonshine absinthe can actually be poisonous if done wrong, and/or hallucinogenic if other chemical compounds are added.

MacHipster

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago/London/Sydney
Checkout the Wormwood Society for reviews. http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/

I recommend Clandestine Blue, Serpis, Absinthe Monmarte, Nouvelle-Orleans, and Absinthe Vertrieb.

Never, ever buy the make-it-at-home stuff that some others posted about. Absinthe has to be distilled. Period.

Also, it doesn't make you hallucinate. That's a myth.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Reading into Absinthe reveals that the wormwood/thujone is not worth talking about, since it's in such small concentrations that it won't cause hallucinations. That Absinthe is more or less a drink with 68% alcohol.

Is it worth it trying Absinthe, or am I better off just getting Everclear or something?
This is the difference between Absinthe and Absinthia. Absinthia is what is all over the internet for very high prices. This stuff is not real Absinthe, but is fairly close. Just not worth the price IMO.

Schmoe0013

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Minneapolis, USA
Oh how I miss you green farie!

Please come back!

Not that I condone this I'd anything, but I know people who have used listerine bottles to fill with the stuff.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
What timing. We finished the Green Devil absinthe on Thursday, and went and drank it tonight. It dodn't go too smoothly, but apparently Green Devil is some GOOD ****.

Let me explain... There was four of us. Three boys and one girl. We went through the first round of drinking, and one guy got the second round, but then the corkscrew broke off! The piece is stuck in the bottle. Well we tried several things to try to get it out, and the last one was trying to use a pencil to dig it out. Well it pushed the corkscrew piece in, and the pencil went in along with it by mistake! In a hurry, we poured the absinthe into another bottle some guy grabbed, and took the pencil out. We were already worried about drinking it because of the pencil, but what's worse is that we then realized the bottle was dirty!

So I grabbed it, said the night is over and went and poured it in the toilet. ****.

The guy who took the second drink left. We three were just sitting around and chatting.

But then the girl started to hallucinate. Man, she said she saw all kinds of stuff - vines growing on the ceiling, the grass becoming silvery water, her hair shining gold and stuff. She even wanted to shave her head so she can sell the gold hair! She said everything is so beautiful and she feels like it's the greatest time ever and stuff. It was great. Eventually it went away, and then she said she's feeling really down and sad for some reason, and went to bed.

Man. Since the girl was the one who dropped the pencil into the bottle, AND poured the absinthe into the dirty bottle without looking, she promised she will buy the everclear and vodka tomorrow so I can make a second batch. We're going to give it a second shot in 1.5 weeks. Right after we finish our finals :)

OnceUGoMac, can you describe your experiences? And your experiences making the absinthe? What did you use? As for me, I used the bottle provided as the storing bottle. I used a soda bottle cut in half as a funnel, and used half of the herbs in both bags to make 750ml of absinthe along with 375ml of everclear and 375ml of vodka. The directions said to make it with 2 liters, but how di you store 2 liters of absinthe? And for filtering, I just poured the absinthe into the filter which is put over the half-soda bottle funnel. I didn't decant the absinthe first. Didn't seem to affect the results. What about you?

And one final question... Where can you buy a corkscrew? As mine broke off.
She was probably ********ting you, it takes some decent strength acid to get those levels of visuals and wormwood is definitely not *that* potent.

MacHipster

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago/London/Sydney
Sorry to revamp an old thread, but this came out today:

Absinthe’s mind-altering mystery solved

Proof positive: High alcohol content responsible for psychedelic effects

An analysis of century-old bottles of absinthe — the kind once quaffed by the likes of van Gogh and Picasso to enhance their creativity — may end the controversy over what ingredient caused the green liqueur's supposed mind-altering effects.

The culprit seems plain and simple: The century-old absinthe contained about 70 percent alcohol, giving it a 140-proof kick. In comparison, most gins, vodkas and whiskeys are just 80- to 100-proof.
More here.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
She was probably ********ting you, it takes some decent strength acid to get those levels of visuals and wormwood is definitely not *that* potent.
Yeah, probably.

I don't give a damn anymore.

... sigh. My younger days. *shake head*

That was more than two years ago. I don't do that stuff anymore.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
But is it any good?

Any takers?
Absinthe is actually pretty good, but very strong. It helps to serve it with very cold water poured over an ice cube resting on a slotted spoon.

The sugar dissolves and creates a cloud in the absinthe, which is called the louche.

You end up with a very strong, but slightly sweet drink.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've never drunk the stuff but my cousins pub used to stock it, think he pulled it now though. God knows the legality of selling it in a pub as it had loads of warnings on the bottle going on about "safe limits".

If I ever drink alcohol again it'll be that just to see what all the fuss is about.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
www.myspace.com
Absinthe is actually pretty good, but very strong.
I was speaking of the specific kind mentioned above, not in general. ;)

Also read the MSNBC article earlier, but it's the same we've been hearing for awhile now. Like in another Wired article mentioned earlier. More just preaching to the converted and continuing to try to dispel those same myths the uninformed hold. No insults meant, I was uniformed myself once. :p Not like I can get high anyway, so even if it did work, probably still wouldn't feel it. :mad:

Still looking for some good stuff. The best I've seen reviewed is the old kind you can't get anymore unless you pay a ridiculous amount. There are some decently reviewed kinds seen here. Nothing's really tickling my fancy though, so suggestions from those who've actually tried it recently would be appreciated. :)

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
I was speaking of the specific kind mentioned above, not in general. ;)

Also read the MSNBC article earlier, but it's the same we've been hearing for awhile now. Like in another Wired article mentioned earlier. More just preaching to the converted and continuing to try to dispel those same myths the uninformed hold. No insults meant, I was uniformed myself once. :p Not like I can get high anyway, so even if it did work, probably still wouldn't feel it. :mad:

Still looking for some good stuff. The best I've seen reviewed is the old kind you can't get anymore unless you pay a ridiculous amount. There are some decently reviewed kinds seen here. Nothing's really tickling my fancy though, so suggestions from those who've actually tried it recently would be appreciated. :)
I wish I could remember what the label was. It was also not in the US, so it may be a problem getting the right one.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
www.myspace.com
I wish I could remember what the label was. It was also not in the US, so it may be a problem getting the right one.
The best I've seen on the cheap were from the Czech Republic, but the reviews are mixed. Just don't want to spend too much my first time out. The site I posted above has some good info though.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
www.myspace.com
You can't go wrong with Absinthe Montmartre.
Hm. Reviews look decent. No one really seems to dislike it, just don't love it due to it not being as "pure". Extra flavors and smells and all. Not too expensive either. Might be a good start, thanks.

Clandestine Bleu is really good, too.
That one has even better ratings. I like the color too. It's a little more expensive, but still not bad.

I recommend Serpis 65 for something different as it has a hint of cinnamon.
Not a fan of cinnamon, but thanks for the other 2. :)

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
i bought a bottle of King of Spirits absinthe supposed to be the best one right now, well it cost 130 dollars look for it on google. It's pretty good exept for the bitter taste. I'vve also tried another brand i forgot waht it was called, but I was in germany and it tasted like watered down nyquil but it got me feeling real good. My buddies said I was laughing in the airplane for 2 hours at the seat in front of me...

Status
Not open for further replies.