Resolved Where to buy AirPods?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by chino-rican, Dec 6, 2018.

1. chino-rican, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018

chino-rican macrumors regular

chino-rican

Got tired of waiting for the new ones to come out, so I'm going to buy these for myself for Christmas. Question is where should I buy them? Here are the places I've looked:

- Apple: $159 plus 5.3% tax. Delivered by next week, or immediately in-store.
    - B&H: $159 no tax. Available in 4-6 weeks.
    - Amazon: $151.05 (5% Amazon Prime credit card rebate) plus tax. Availability is spotty, except for price-gouging 3rd party sellers.
    - Best Buy: $149.45 (after Citi rebate and Ebates) plus tax. Not available within 250 miles of me, and they won't ship it directly to customers.
    - eBay: Not even gonna try.

Seems that my best bet right now is Apple, but I want to make sure I covered all my bases. If I'm missing something, please let me know!! Thanks.

Update: Also looked at Target: $151.99 (Red Card) plus tax. Available in-store only. This is probably my best option right now assuming they actually have it in stock (their website is sometimes wrong).

2. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

I’m not familiar with the retail stores you mentioned (other than Apple), but I’d pay the little extra if it meant the better after sales support - your batteries may need looking at ~18 months down the track, so the store which provides the best service for a potential replacement of them would be my suggestion (Apple?).

Edit...
    Since you’re in the US, you may not be covered by warranty over 1 year anyway, so it may not make a difference, but Apple could make a replacement happen.

Maybe note in your calendar 11 months from now to monitor battery life...if it’s significantly depleted, then take it back to Apple for a replacement.

3. chino-rican thread starter macrumors regular

chino-rican

Thanks for your reply and advice. Shouldn't make a difference where I get them in terms of warranty. It's 1 year, regardless. The only difference I see is if I decide to return them (unlikely), Apple will take them back and not charge me a restocking fee, like some stores do.

4. Derek87 macrumors 6502a

if you buy with a credit card with extended warranty benefits, this would give you 2 years.

5. chino-rican thread starter macrumors regular

chino-rican

This is true, and I intend to. Thanks!

6. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502a

I’m glad I got mine for $145 when they were on sale at walmart.

7. chino-rican thread starter macrumors regular

chino-rican

I remember that sale. Missed my chance. Still hard to believe these things are in short supply 2 years after being released. I'm sure we'll see a price increase on the updated models.

8. baller1308 macrumors 65816

I'm sure they'll be on sale again, $20 off. I would just wait.

9. chino-rican thread starter macrumors regular

chino-rican

Quick update: Bought my Airpods at Target. Now I'm regretting not using my credit card with extended warranty instead of the Red Card with 5% off. Contemplating doing a payment method exchange, but that's beside the point.

My concern is this: I'm considering getting a SquareTrade Protection Plan, since Apple doesn't offer AppleCare+ for these. It costs $35 and covers 3 years. $55 with accident protection. Anybody out there have experience filing claims with SquareTrade?

10. Petey07 macrumors member

Bought my AirPods from Sams when they had it for $120, when they had their November one day Saturday sale.

11. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020

1rottenapple

You have Costco? They have the AirPods for sale for $139 plus $5 shipping on their online store. I took the ad to bestbuy, showed them my membership for Costco. They matched it for $139.

If you can wait that is. It shows up online from time to time. But what’s $20? It’s a great product and this was my second set of AirPods after the first one’s battery degraded significantly being left in the car during the summer. I would pay full price for this if given no other alternative prices.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 19, 2018 ---
    I’ve heard they’re great. I would get the warranty which is advice I should have used lol.

12. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

If the extra coverage doesn’t cover lost/stolen then there is no point in paying for it in my opinion.