Where to buy Apple Care?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yusukeaoki, May 28, 2011.

1. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Hi guys,

So i pretty much got 9 months left to get my Apple Care until the warranty dies on me.

And here is the question. Where do you guys think it has the best warranty and the cheapest?
    I have a 17in which means if I buy it at apple, it will nearly cost me $350.
    But if I buy it at expercom with my account I get a $100 discount and its only $250.

Apple seems to be only covering their OWN damage to software/application and hardware. And its even global. (I travel a lot to Japan. i had a painful story with my old MBP when I was at Japan without AppleCare.)
    It seems like it doesnt even cover your personal damage such as spill and drops. But I also get phone support.

I heard some stories about Best Buys mac plans which even covers spills and drops (no phone support) and even longer period of warranty. Although longer period of repair time way more than Apple. I have no idea about the price with best buy though. And no global coverage.
    I also heard that best buy now sends apple product that needs to be repaired only to a apple expert/technician but I cant really believe that...

What do you guys think?

2. PT123 macrumors member

I really think that if you can buy accidental cover, it's a no brainer. But since you've had yours for nine months, square trade etc won't let you buy a new warranty, so go for AppleCare as it's better than nothing, whilst bad value for money.

3. yusukeaoki thread starter macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

no, I mean I have 9 months left for the original warranty to expire. i have the early 2011 model which means it came out on Feb and not its May so I got 9 more months.

4. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

You should be able to buy it in amazon. Or just go online to the apple store and buy it there.

Cheers, Macjim.

5. marc11 macrumors 68000

I got mine from Apple using my eduction discount and it was cheaper than any third parties.

6. ShootingStars macrumors member

7. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Bad advice, search and see how many people got scammed via eBay and AppleCare. KISS, buy from Apple or a legit seller like B&H, J&R etc.

8. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Ya, $239 is a great price for Applecare. I'm getting it today. Its the lowest price and its direct from Apple. Best of both worlds.

9. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

OK, but as others have noted, you can buy it from a legitimate retailer for less.

10. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4