Where to buy apple keyboard usb extension?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by komodrone, Oct 12, 2011.

1. komodrone macrumors 6502

Besides Ebay....

does Apple sell these or do they only come with the keyboard? I need a second one. I don't want to use a third party one.

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Not sure why you wouldn't want to go third party....a USB extension isn't rocket science - it's a pretty standard piece of equipment....Apple's won't be different (electrically) than anyone else's.

3. TuiSong macrumors regular

maybe not, but design wise they work much better. I found my third party el cheapo ones from ebay never hold together very well. I use them to extend my iPad charger in the lounge, and the el cheap ones separate with just a little tug. I ditched them in favor of the apple extensions, they have that extra tongue inside which create a really secure connection that won't pull free easily. It's also nice to have the colour matching. Though I would love a 2m long one so I didn't need to use two clicked together

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

Any USB extension cable will work. Cheap or Expensive there is no difference.

Apple's cables dont work any better.

Now if you want to address contruction quality. Well, I have never had any USB cable fail. They are use molded ends these days. Look for that when buying if this is a concern.

5. TuiSong macrumors regular

I think my post sounded a bit like I was talking about the extensions falling apart. What I meant was the way the female and male parts plug together on the apple extension cord is very tight and secure and doesn't pull apart easily. While the cheap third party ones haven't broken, they are a pain because they aren't a good snug fit and they don't stay plugged in. Apple is just nicer design all round, and I see nothing wrong with wanting to use only the apple stuff if it is available

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

Did not say apple's stuff was bad...just that the cost is high. If you need distance, I would suggest a wireless keyboard instead. Afterall, this really is the apple way.