Where to buy AppleCare Plus for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vistokid, Sep 14, 2017.

1. vistokid macrumors 6502

So I managed to get a 2016 TB MacBook Pro for a pretty decent deal from Best Buy. I took a look here and have seen a lot of complaints of faulty keyboards etc. This has me a little worried and I'm now thinking of adding AppleCare Plus. Can anyone recommend where to purchase it from? I know they pop up on eBay etc but I'm not sure if they are legit or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TY.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

You can get AppleCare many places however there is no AppleCare + on apple computers so no accidental damage cover you will need separate insurance for that.
    Remember that you get one year fault warranty and can increase that to three years with AppleCare bought at any time during the first year of ownership so no need to rush.

3. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I agree - I've not seen AC+ sold separately from Authorized Service Providers (although it may be and I just missed it). The older AC (non-Plus) covers hardware problems but no AD/liquid damage like AC+. Additionally, where as AC+ covers battery replacements, I am not sure if AC does as well. IIRC Adorama (sp) Camera was one of the retailers selling AC on sale for like $150. I personally opted for AC+ on my rMB since it is my portable machine and I figured an extra $100 for the AD couldn't hurt.

Some 3rd party Apple Retailers like Micro Center will also sell their own warranty policies/service/replacement plans that both do and do not include AD, and they offer this to new systems that they did not sell themselves (they need proof of purchase and to inspect the system to run MRI/Apple Diagnostics.) The price/terms of these may be or may not be favorable to AppleCare/AppleCare+. I considered a few of these and ultimately went AC because of the access to the large worldwide network of providers.

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

5. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

you can still purchase AppleCare from Apple for your 2016 MacBook Pro in the first 12 months, but you have to contact Apple Support in order to purchase. I am not sure if you can just take it into a local Apple Store or not.

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

For newer (currently sold) devices Apple seems to now only sell AppleCare+, and you only have 60 days. Dunno what happens if you try to buy the old applecare from a third party on a new device.

7. tigres macrumors 601

tigres

So I just chatted with apple support on a MacBook pro I purchased in Nov. of 16, and they are telling me AppleCare has to be purchased within 60 days? Can anyone here provide me a link so I can go to the store and argue my case? It is not the PLUS I am looking for, but the normal AppleCare. Thanks

8. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

I contacted Apple Support and they are the ones that told me I could buy the old Apple Care within the normal 11 months. All I would have to do is contact them again to purchase since there isn't a link any longer. I haven't tried since I was planning on purchasing in Nov of this year