Where to Buy Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dwalls90, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Early 2011 MBP 15" ... and don't say the genius bar.

iFixit has been out of stock for a while now, and I'm looking for a reputable place to purchase one.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. It doesn't make sense to risk a $2-3000 computer just to save a few bucks on a cheaper battery.

Battery Replacement
    Replacing the built-in battery in your MacBook Pro
    Replacing the Battery in your MacBook Air
    Intel-based Apple Portables: How to replace or service a built-in battery

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Why not the Genius Bar? Third party batteries typically suck.

4. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I don't want third party, I want the Apple battery, without the genius. Replacing it is a cake walk, I don't need them to do it for me for twice the price.

----------

I whole-heartedly agree. I'm not trying to stray from OEM, but wondering where I can buy one. :cool:

5. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Look up an AASP in your area, call them and ask if they'll sell you the battery. As far as I know the price they charge for the part is $139 and the install is "free." I imagine an AASP is going to tell you the same thing.

*edit* for the record, I don't understand why the battery isn't a "user replaceable part" either.

6. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Agreed. Replacing the battery is easier than replacing the HDD, and equally as "challenging" as the RAM - yet those are both user replaceable.

AASP is an authorized reseller? Any chain/suggestions?

EDIT: NVM. Didn't realize that the retail for an OEM battery is the same that the genius bar charges. I'll just go that route! Still sucks it's $129 ...

7. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK