Where to buy BootCamp and Windows?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Irock619, May 23, 2014.

1. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

This is completely new to me. I want to use an rc flight simulator on my cMBP but I need bootcamp with windows. I don't even know where to begin. Where can I find the programs for a decent price? Also can I run this program on an external HDD? My cMBP is upgraded with 8gb ram and SSD. It should have no problem running these programs.

2. MikeVera macrumors member

Bootcamp is a utility built into OSX, all you have to do is go to Applications -> utilities -> Bootcamp assistant. This will launch the wizard to help you get started.

As far as windows, newegg.com, or anywhere else should be a good place to try and source it.

While windows is not EASILY booted off of a hard drive, you can def attach a external HDD to your computer once windows is installed, format it as NTFS, then assign it a Drive letter and install programs to the external drive (programs that allow for custom installations).

3. Irock619, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014

Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

Sounds easy enough. So windows has to be on my SSD and programs that run on windows can be saved to my external drive? Would it be better to make a partition on my SSD specifically for windows?

Which windows is good these days? I've been hearing horrible things about the last couple versions. Also what about anti virus software? I don't use one for Mac as it's not really needed. If I'm running windows how vulnerable is my computer?

4. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I use Windows 7 with Parallels Desktop 8.
    No problems.

Barney

5. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

Like Barney, I'd use a virtual Windows install on the model you have. Any i-series will run a VM quite well (especially given the RAM and SSD you've got).

VM's allow you to take a snapshot and restore a snapshot INCREDIBLY easy whereas bootcamp partitions aren't the easiest to work on if something goes wrong.

Just my 2 cents.

6. dazz87 macrumors 6502

Just wondering could a 4gb usb stick be big enough for both win7 iso and apple drivers? I only have a 4gb.

7. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

Why for the iso? As far as I can recall, only the machines without optical drives offer the USB boot method for bootcamp (without doing some trickery to force it).

8. MikeVera macrumors member

Will parallels be able to run a game efficiently or will most the system resources be taken up in trying to run both OSs?

9. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

Depends on the game and depends on your machine. If you're asking about the MBA in your sig I'd recommend going bootcamp route if you want to game, but even then I can't imagine it keeping up too well (MBA not really built for games, as most laptops aren't). VM's are good for running apps that you don't necessarily need all the time and want quick access to.