Where to buy cheap Applecare for 15" rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by majordude, May 15, 2013.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Is it the same price everywhere or does someone sell it cheaper?

And I have up to a year to buy it, right?

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Yes, you have a year after the original mac purchase date to extend it.

4. Bear macrumors G3

J&R Electronics also offers discounts.

You do have a year from the original purchase date, however, if you're having it shipped to you, you need to make sure it has time to get to you and then you need time for the AppleCare registration to process in case there are any issues while registering it.

My recommendation is getting AppleCare no later than 2 months before your warranty expires. And at the absolute latest no later than 1 month before it expires.

5. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

It took all of five minutes to have it applied to my Mac Pro after calling Apple to register it.

6. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Same for applying to my MacBook Pro online. An e-mail confirmation for enrollment came a day or two later, followed no more than two weeks after that by a paper copy sent via snail mail.

7. Bear macrumors G3

For most people, there is no issue. I'd hate to be one of those people who did have an issue and a problem registering AppleCare. And there is the time it takes to get the AppleCare from the store you buy it from before you can register it. Delays in shipping do happen.

8. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

When there are issues, 99.999% of them can be easily resolved by either visiting an Apple store or calling the main AppleCare number. Someone I know bought an open-box MBP from Best Buy and AppleCare later on. When registering AC, there was an issue doing it online. One phone call sorted it, and the representative was nice enough to move-up the "in-service" date to when he bought the notebook, not when it was purchased originally. We simply scanned and e-mailed a copy of the purchase receipt. Easy-peasy.

The same process of scanning and e-mailing a purchase receipt to Apple or taking it in to a retail store could work here as well. As long as the invoice has a date that's before your original warranty expires, there should be no problem.

While I agree one should not be a complete numpty and wait until the last minute, a "drop-dead" time of one month beforehand is a bit excessive.

9. Jlrera macrumors member

Just get it through Apple.com's educational store, just say you go to some random college, it's like 183.

10. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

To the OP...the first two suggestions are good ones. I use B&H often, and for $244 on the rMBP insurance...you'll save $105 on your coverage from an excellent vendor.

11. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Hmm

I don't think the 15" EDU AC is that cheap, close to the 244$ that other retailers charge..

12. Jlrera macrumors member

Oh snap I thought he had the 13 inch, my bad, yeah it'd be a little more then.

13. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

14. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

With all due respect, in Canada they ARE Sky High.. $379 from Apple, and most any other Retailer.. I WISH we had a B&H-like Option!! :rolleyes: