Where to buy dress clothes online?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by temiller, Aug 13, 2011.

1. temiller, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

temiller macrumors member

Hey all,

I just started a new job (after a 3 year funemployment stretch). They require business casual, and my dress clothes portion of my closet is quite thin (5 shirts and 3 pairs of poorly fitting slacks). I've been trying to go shopping, but either I can't find anything in my size (6'2" and partially athletic) or its absurdly expensive for my current budget ($80+ for a pair of slacks.). I've luckily managed to get 3 of the shirts and a pair of pants this week.

I've been to Kohls, Macy's, TJ Maxx, Sears, Mens Warehouse, etc. I can either find something that fits me, but out of my price range, or things that don't fit me that I can afford at the moment. Or, I'll find things that fit that are the same color of what I already have. As you can see, its getting quite frustrating.

I'm more or less looking for online retailers to buy from. I've googled, and came across stores that don't seem legitimate, or local retailers. Does anyone have any sites they use for their dress clothes?

EDIT*
    Oh, and what are some good brands? I've found I like Dockers and Perry Ellis, but other than that, I have no idea. It'll be nice to know what to look for and what to avoid before I start dropping a majority of my first few paychecks into this.

2. avro707 macrumors 6502a

You could try somewhere like this lot:

http://www.valparks.com.au/pages/Shipping-&-Returns.html

They ship to most countries in the world. I like their shirts in particular - they are seemingly well made and reasonable in price to others.

But they might be too expensive for your budget - though that's inevitable, a lot of the better stuff is expensive, or insanely expensive. I'd generally suggest avoiding buying online though - better to buy in person so you know the size is right.

3. temiller thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help. I've done some searching, to only realize that I already pay roughly the same for my day to day clothing (just a tad less). I've never needed to buy a whole new wardrobe in such a short time so it became very overwhelming. I was kind of looking in the wrong places at the stores and that could be why I was having a hard time finding what I needed. Between my first few checks and my tuition refund check, I should be able to get situated. Again, thanks for your help.

4. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

All of my dress shirts are Brooks Brothers that I buy on their website on clearance. Usually about 40 a shirt, a lot better than 80-110.

They have 3 cuts, a full, a regular, and a skinny. The regular is the only cut I have found that fits my neck and doesn't look like a tent.

5. 184550 Guest

A majority of my suits are from Hagger and I usually have them slightly altered by a local tailor. My dress shirts usually come from Banana Republic. Khakis and casual shirts I usually get at Gap. I usually get ties out the clearance bin at Belks; a great way to snag Nautica and Polo ties at 60%- 75% percent off.

Pick an issue of GQ (their September issue should be out in a couple of days, if not already) if you're interested in boning up on the basics before you blow a ton of money on dress clothes.

6. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

having been a 'khaki warrior' myself, i can recommend Lands End as a decent place to lurk for sales/free shipping and usually find what you need. stuff fits just like the size guide, or at least is did for me. 6'5" and a runner. best of luck. since they send me promo stuff all the time, a free shipping offer if it matters, but you have to shop tonight...