Where to Buy Elgato Products in Canada

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simoncoul, Jan 26, 2008.

1. simoncoul macrumors member

Hey guys I want to buy an elgato tv tuner as that is what I have read most people are suggest as the best one for macs, but I can't find any places really that sell them and if I do they are charging like 200 CDN for the one that is 150 US. Also I've read a few times of people getting them for like 100 US some times.

And lastly I saw that they now support clear QAM stations, is this a hardware thing or a software update, like if I buy an old one but get EyeTV3 will it do clean QAM?

Thanks

Simon

2. simoncoul thread starter macrumors member

I've so seen some on ebay, that are still in the packaging, would I be able to get the free upgrade to EyeTV 3 or does it have to be from an authorized reseller?

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

There's no Apple store anywhere near my location to check, so that doesn't help. I've seen them at my local Mac reseller before -- have you checked all of them near where you are? Best way to find them is to use the Canadian reseller locater on the Apple site.

4. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Where in Canada do you live? The official Apple Stores has them

5. simoncoul thread starter macrumors member

I live near the GTA, but when I looked on the apple website they are charging 200 for them, and I don't want to pay such a high markup for it.

6. gills69ca macrumors newbie

There are a number of places to buy them in the GTA, as well as online stores in Canada:
    http://elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/stores.en.html

You can buy them online from Elgato for 149.95 USD, but with the shipping ($25) and customs charges as well as the exchange rate, you'll probably be close to the $200 CAD that Canadian stores charge anyway.

They occasionally have special offers for newsletter subscribers. They are not advertised so the only way you'd hear about them is by signing up.

If you want Clear QAM, buy a new one. It's a new chip in the hardware and the new ones come with EyeTV 3. If you buy from eBay or any place other than an authorized reseller, it probably won't be the new hardware and you won't get a free upgrade to EyeTV 3:
    http://services.elgato.com/na/eyetvupgrade/index.php?file=nocoupon&lang=en

Hope that helps.