Where to buy first Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jhendo, Mar 10, 2010.

1. jhendo macrumors newbie

I'm looking for advice on where to purchase my first Macbook Pro. This will in fact be my first laptop as well which has drawn me to look at getting it at Best Buy due to their protection plan that covers physical damage.

I can get the student discount from Apple and would like to save the money, but I'm not sure the Apple Care would be better coverage.

Does anyone have advice on which coverage plan is best?

Thanks!

2. jhendo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. Apple Care & Home Insurance seem to be the way to go.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I bought all of my Apple computers from the Apple online store. Got Apple care for each as well.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Well, I'll be the first to chime in with a "go refurb!". They've got the 13" MBP in stock for $999 as of this typing.

5. Coldmode macrumors regular

I would concur that refurb is a good idea. Get AppleCare and all you have to worry about is the minor inconvenience of sending the thing in if one of the furbie'd parts goes south.

If you're going to buy new, I'd suggest going to an Apple store, especially if you live in a major city. I buy all my Apple products at the Boylston Street store in Boston just because it's cool, well designed place (it's also pretty much on my commute). Getting the box delivered to your house isn't as much fun as actually going into the store and having all the employees give you their "Congratulations".

6. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

I say go to the Apple Store it is a great experience especially if it is your first Mac computer.

7. wildoz macrumors newbie

I agree with the Apple Store comments. If you have the time, make an appt and get the focused sale, the folks at the stores have a knack for getting it right.
    Personally I would not buy an apple computer without applecare, it's like having that $20 stash in your wallet and knowing you are covered. I have bought four Macs in the past, the last three with applecare. The one that didn't have it I needed it for, two have needed it around a year after having them and the third has not needed it. It's also nice to be able to hand it down to a family member knowing that they are covered too. Since PC's don't have applecare I doubt I will be getting one in the near future.
    Enjoy your purchase. I always do.

8. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I would recommend going into the physical apple store to buy. I bought my MBP from the online store; When it arrived, it was defective. Instead of going in and exchanging it at the apple store that's literally 5 minutes away from me, they insisted that I had to send it back via fedex. I'm not sure if this happens to everyone.

Plus, buying from the apple store is a nice experience ;)

9. brendu macrumors 68020

if you can consider the white macbook and you live near a microcenter GO THERE. you can pick up the newest model for $799... $200 under the apple store or worst buy... and you can always get applecare from apple and have the exact same support from them as if you bought it from an apple store.

if you do not live near a microcenter, then go apple store for sure and use your student discount, BB protection is awful IMO... I have had it for my phone and its nice that they cover accidental damage, but the experience of dealing with them is agony.