Where to buy iPhone 5 cable?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by PokerGuy, Mar 4, 2013.

1. PokerGuy macrumors member

Hi there - just got a new iPhone and need to get a 2nd cable for charging in the car - from looking around online it seems a lot of the cheaper ones turn out to be poor quality - do I have to just bite the bullet and pay Apple £15 for an original or is there a good quality alternative?

2. davidinva macrumors 6502a

I got a Belkin car charger and lightning cable for my iPod 5G, and both work fine. I purchased an extra cable (Auvio brand) from Radio Shack and it didn't fit (the lightning connector was a bit too think.). If you stick with one of the standard, non-Apple brands, you should be ok. I don't know if the iPhone 5 requires a 10 amp charger or not. The iPod works just fine on a 2.1 amp.

3. PokerGuy thread starter macrumors member

Great thanks for info - I was looking at the Belkin as an option as I have had things from them before so nice to get a good endorsement.

4. MR Bulk macrumors regular

I simply picked up a spare cable at AT&T at the same time I got my iPhone 5. $19, but no worries about malfunctions or other horror stories I've heard with aftermarket non-Apple approved cables.

5. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

monoprice.com if you can wait a few more weeks. Great quality, inexpensive, and you can get it in different lengths.

6. Mellisaray macrumors regular

well, i think the original one will be good, although it is a little expensive, but for the durability, it worth the value.

7. bloodninj4 macrumors member

I lucked out staples sent me a 25$ off a 75$ purchase coupon so last time i went to their store to get something my cable came out for free.

I never use coupons from big stores like staples but this time it actually worked out well.

8. Steevie macrumors regular

Totally agree. Apple is your safest and surest bet

9. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

So the ones they license to manufacture are not safe?

10. mapledress macrumors regular

Apple is your safest and surest bet, but it doesn't mean that the ones they license to manufacture are not safe.

11. fizz7283 macrumors 6502a

I just bought five of these ones and they're exactly like the apple cables. Some of the reviewers said they're a little tighter fitting than the apple cable, but out of the ones I received I have already opened two and they aren't too tight. They fit perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LGC32Q?qid=1362820275&sr=8-10

12. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

How sad that a company would not only refuse to use a non-standard charger, but would try to make it a "secret" on how to ensure everything turns out right with the newest connector.

13. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

If you spent a lot of time and money to make a device that works great with accessories and has great properties, would you want someone to just illegally use your patents for their own gain?

14. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

The new charger does not charge the phone any better than any other one.

15. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

You're right, but it's still relatively new. I'm sure there's a lot of potential behind that connector. We're just now seeing manufacturer's selling charging/sync cables.

Do you really think Apple would switch from something that was so versatile in so many different fields to a very expensive way of charging a phone? If charging was all they were after they would've gone with something else.

16. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Yes.

17. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Great. I'll update this when some fun accessories come out. Remind me in a year if we're still just using Lightening for charging. I'll eat crow.

18. JessNess macrumors newbie

Tried Cable Barons?

I've just bought 3 Cable Barons cables after a friend recommended them. (australian company) Apparently they're pretty good, and it was time for a change from the white apple ones.
    Has anyone else tried them??

19. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Where to buy iPhone 5 cable?

I got these;

iXCC (TM) 2 pcs LONG 6 ft (SIX FEET !) White 8-Pin Lightning Cable for Apple iPhone5, iPad4, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5th Gen, iPod Nano 7th Gen
    http://amzn.com/B0092HNAVI

AmazonBasics USB A to Lightning Compatible Cable (3 Feet/0.9 Meter)
    http://amzn.com/B009SYZ8OC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

20. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

The 4' ones from belkin are awesome only $20 they come in different colors also.

21. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

22. phillyi macrumors member

I also purchased the amazonbasics cable per recommendations from other members on macrumors and I have to say that I am really liking them. Just be advised that the casing on the lightning end is bigger than most so may or may not be compatible with certain cases.

23. iKaushal macrumors 6502

iKaushal

I can't take a chance with some low quality cable destroying my iphone. I always get original cable from Apple store to be safe.