Where to buy LCD`s in the USA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sundown57, Mar 15, 2015.

1. sundown57 macrumors newbie

I have a 2012 pro 15 inch retina . The screen is cracked. I got it apart with no problem. but when i checked e-bay the only ones i find are in China. and most have very poor feed back. Does any one know of a good company in the USA to buy replacement screens for macbooks ? The one i need is LP154WT1 (SJ) (A1) GD. thanks

2. sundown57 thread starter macrumors newbie

retina lcd

I just want to buy the screen not the complete assembly

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Good luck, even APPLE doesn't provide just the LCD on warranty repairs, it's a complete unit.

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

I can confirm that. Under warranty I got the whole screen assembly replaced.

The whole thing is glued into the frame. On the IFixIt teardown, they couldn't separate the glass/lcd combo from the aluminum without breaking the screen. Plus its so thin that they would need to add a metal square to ship it without breaking. Maybe no one wants to ship out just the screen because the extra protection needed means that you won't be saving much?

5. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

$500 for a new screen assembly? Might as well buy a new MBP and sell the broken one on ebay as 'for parts, not working'.

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

March 15? Did you mean April 15?
    And no, spending $700 on a 2010 makes no sense. Just wait for you tax return and buy a new one.