Where to buy: MacBook Pro 2006 (A1150) bottom case?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shacklebolt, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Though I think iFixit is pretty sweet, no way am I going to pay $200+ for a bottom pan replacement, when I really don't care about how it looks cosmetically -- I just care that it isn't dented (like mine is).

Places like PowerBookMedic sell them used for $40ish, which is fine by me ... but Resellerratings doesn't exactly have the best reviews of the site itself.

Anyone have other thoughts about reliable stores that sell working-but-used MBP parts?

2. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

+1 for ebay for parts. Usually you can pick them up for quite cheap.

It was the only place I found a HDD fan for my 2008 iMac, and for only 10 bucks.

4. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Yeah, been looking at eBay almost entirely, and this PowerBookMedic place seems to be the only one popping up with what I need (which is fine).

Was literally about to complete my order last night (as in, had typed in my cc #) when I went to Resellerratings and saw they were sitting on a 3.3/10.

Frustrating because they've definitely got the part. Anyone mind checking it out, or letting me know what they think?

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

6. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Here's the site, and the part on the site itself: $190 new, $30 used in "grade A" condition:

Here's a search on eBay for the same part.

But lest you think this isn't broadly applicable, for people who like fixing their own Apple stuff, finding a _reliable_ site that sells cheap high-quality parts is a worthwhile thing to nail down, so I really appreciate the help/input. iFixit is absolutely great for instructions, but the prices are just wayyyy too high.

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

If you're happy about the PowerBookMedic's $30 used for the grade A, I'd just buy from there. They actually seem to have lower prices than what's on eBay.

Their ratings seems fine to me on BizRate - only mark downs I saw were people complaining about shipping "on time"/"shipping prices" - which everyone wants to complain about.

8. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Cool -- thanks for looking into it. Just bought.

Now all that remains is the super-easy task of denuding the enclosure of my MBP of all parts and microscopic screws without breaking or losing anything! (furthest I've ever gotten was removing my SuperDrive/DVD stuck therein). Should be fun.

9. parker770 macrumors member

There is a retailer who lists on eBay quite often who ships out of France. Their prices and quality are EXCELLENT, and shipping was quite reasonable(within a dollar or two of domesting retailers) and it only took 6 days from France to Texas.