Where to buy MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bestsoccerdog, Jun 16, 2011.

1. bestsoccerdog macrumors newbie

I'd like to buy a stock 15" MBP (the 2.0 GHz one). I'm trying to decide among Apple, Amazon, and MacMall.

For Apple (I'm a student) , I'd be paying 1926(including tax and printer)-100(rebate for printer)-75(selling giftcard)=1751.

For Amazon, I'd be paying 1700 and could buy a printer for about $50-75 that I'd like better than the ones offered at Apple.

For MacMall, I'd be paying 1660, and again, I could buy a printer for 50-75, so the total price would be about 1725.

All the prices are fairly close, but I'm wondering if I'm going to run into any issues with MacMall. I know Amazon's support is superb and at any place I'm going to get Lion free (since they're all authorized resellers). Not going through the trouble of selling that giftcard through Ebay is probably worth a little to me also. Are there any better deals out there, or am I going to run into any issues buying through Amazon or MacMall?

2. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

If you're buying the standard model, it's pretty much just a product they are pulling off a shelf and shipping to you. Aside from damage in shipping or an otherwise Dead on Arrival unit, Apple is going to be covering the warranty no matter where you buy. So it really doesn't matter.

Why in the world would you sell a $100 gift card for $75 though? You are going to need software and the Mac App store is a great source for it.

3. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I would get it from Amazon. No taxes, free shipping, great support from them and the standard Apple 1yr warranty, plus the actual discounted price on the computer itself.

Saves you the hassle of selling the card if you're not going to use it in the first place, and gives you the freedom to choose a printer of your liking, rather than the limited options exposed in the Apple Store.

You also have a wide return window should the item come damaged or you changed your mind.

4. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

If they're certified resellers, you should have no issues. If there is anything wrong with the laptop you can just take it into Apple.

As for the price, get what feels comfortable for you. I would go for the cheapest price I can get. And the poster above does have a point, you could use that gift card to buy all the software for your computer.

5. bestsoccerdog thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks. I'll probably go with Amazon since I feel more comfortable with them than MacMall. As for why I'd sell the card: I already have most of the software I'd need, and my school offers other software free or at a ridiculously reduced price (MS Office for $15).

6. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

That works. I love the no tax from Amazon.