where to buy memory from

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CultHero, Sep 19, 2008.

1. CultHero macrumors 6502

I have an intel Core 2 Duo iMac with 1 GB of RAM. I would like to increase this to 2 GB or more. I have heard that the best place to buy RAM is from Apple, but is this just marketing on their part?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Crucial.com or TigerDirect.com.

NEVER buy your memory from Apple, as they charge 2-5x the market price because they cover it in their warranty and aren't in the business of selling memory.

TEG

3. CultHero thread starter macrumors 6502

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

SODIMMs are short cards for Laptops and the iMac, whereas others are for desktops.

Looks good to me.

TEG

5. CultHero thread starter macrumors 6502

6. kwalker5 macrumors member

Crucial has a scanner and it will tell you what you have and give you the item numbers.

7. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Gotta tell you, I've been buying ram off dealram for years and never had a problem. They compare multiple vendors with price and shipping. I've gotten a lot from 18004memory via dealram with nary a problem and the best prices around. 2gb is running about $38 w/free shipping. :)

8. CultHero thread starter macrumors 6502

well, thanks for the help, I ended up going to 4 gigs. Can't wait to see the difference between my 1 gig and 4 gigs!

9. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I always use crucial.com as a barometer and it's usually harder to get better prices in the UK. Checking US prices I see it is a little cheaper than the UK currently, (but I'm guessing that's without sales tax whereas ours includes VAT), but not significantly cheaper.

So tempting to get 4GB at the moment as it's just dropped by almost £20 in the UK. Not sure I need it. I run the internet just fine on 640MB and Panther on a 12" PowerBook G4, and don't seem to be running high end apps too often on my MBP or iMac at the moment. If it dropped below £40 though, I'd eat it up.