Where to buy my Mac Pro...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acearchie, Jul 25, 2009.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I am really keen to get a Mac Pro to increase my video editing ability.

Im looking at getting a second hand 2x2.8Ghz quad with basic other specs so I can get it as cheap as possible.

Im in the UK and have been browsing gumtree and eBay looking for a deal to pop up but I was wondering if anyone could suggest any other sites or places to look where I may be able to find a good deal?

Thanks

2. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Check craigslist...

Last year, my friend picked up a mac pro for $1800, while the machine customized with the same specs on apple.com was a little over $2500.

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Sadly the UK site is riddled with scammers.

A search for Mac Pro revealed only one true mac pro (a 2.66GHz quad Nahelem) and about 12-13 fake Macbook Pro's brand new being sold for about £300...

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/search/?areaID=24&subAreaID=&query=mac+pro&catAbbreviation=sss

4. G.T. macrumors 6502a

5. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Refurb store is still quite expensive!

I was hoping for the sort of site where once in a blue moon you get an absolute stonker of a deal!

Sadly Im still saving and am currently unable to afford any of the refurbs!

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

I think you’ve covered the main ways of looking for second-hand kit, but it would probably be worth contacting resellers as well.

However, I don’t fancy your chances of picking up a unit that that’s an absolute steal. Mac Pros tend to have a pretty good resale value and I doubt many prospective sellers would be keen to sell well under the odds, if anything it’s going to be the other way!

Have you thought about getting an older 2006 model? macking.co.uk (no idea what they’re like) have a couple for £1,200-£1,300. There’re a couple of active threads in the Mac Pro forum by people who have upgraded the processors, which might be worth a look if do consider going down this route.

Is it specifically a Mac Pro that you feel you need to improve your editing skills?

7. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Well this is my first update one 4 years from a 12" PowerBook which has no editing capabilities! I basically want to buy a machine with offers the best power for money ratio! That way I'm not left hanging in another 3 years time. I want to be able to work with current mediu
    s (HD and realtime rendering/editing) and couldn't justify a mobile processor of a laptop where a significant chunk of the cash goes into the portability factor.

So yes I think a mac pro is the best option.

8. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Craigslist. I picked up my 8 core 2.8Ghz Mac Pro plus a 23" ACD for $1900 on Craigslist.

9. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

I am so envious of you!

Sadly I don't think that Craigslist is as popular over here as it is in America! But I will keep my eyes open!

On a side note I went into the Apple Store Regents street near where I'm doing some work experience and one of the genius' suggested that a Mac Pro would better suit my needs even a 2006 model over a new Macbook Pro...

So I'm pretty set on the Mac Pro!

10. shipra macrumors newbie

11. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Well I have found a 2.66ghz quad mac pro for just under £1000. Do you think I should take the plunge?

It's a basic configuration.

12. Lukeyboy01 macrumors regular

Lukeyboy01

13. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

It was advertised on gumtree and its actually a shop located near queensway tube station so its legit.

Its probably still for sale!

14. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It's a good price and I assume it is still in warranty which would be another plus.