Where to buy RAM for Powerbook G4 1.25Ghz

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Skystar, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Skystar macrumors 6502

I want to max out my Powerbook's memory, but I read it has the processor-slewing technology and that regular memory that can be easily found may not work correctly. Does anyone know of a good online retailer (US) with decent prices, and has proven to work with this memory restriction? I would like to max it out to 2GB. Thanks

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I'm not positive what you mean by "processor-slewing", but I have purchased all my RAM from crucial.com. On their site you can choose your exact model and they will sell you the perfect guaranteed compatible RAM for it.

3. godmachine12 macrumors member

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

What is "processor-slewing" technology?

Kingston, Crucial or even 18004memory.com have all worked great for me.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You want to stick with Samsung original modules for this machine.

If you order Crucial for this exact machine, they will send you Samsungs with a Crucial label on them. The Micron-manufactured Crucial modules are not compatible.

Data Memory Systems has a compatible module (DM50 155-2) made with Samsung chips that is a bit less expensive than the Samsung originals.

Processor slewing is a power saving technique that was used in the first generation AlBooks and it causes virtually all PC2700 SODIMMs to crash the machine (Including normally-compatible Kingstons, Crucials and other brands). To work in the machine, the modules have to be specifically compatible with processor-slewing.

6. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I have that same model and be sure that whomever you purchase from knows about the differences with this model and will allow you to return the RAM if it is not compatible.

I bought mine from Omni Technologies without any drama.

7. Skystar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to go with CanadaRAM's advice and go with data memory systems. I like how they have added a side note about the "slewing". Let's see if this powerbook has anything left in the tank after the memory. :cool: