Where to buy ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VMG, Dec 15, 2011.

1. VMG macrumors newbie

I just got a new MBP 15' 2.4ghz i7 and it has 4gb of ram. I am looking to upgrade it to at least 8gb.

I have seen Crucial memory but I'm not sure how good their products are. They have a 8gb kit for only $45, that seems to me to be very cheap for 8gb considering that apple charges like 200 for that upgrade. Has anyone used crucial products before?

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Crucial RAM is good and many people agree on that.

3. jbsmithmac macrumors regular

I've always used crucial ...for years. No issues!

4. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I haven't had issues with Crucial for a MacBook. (Have for custom windows rigs but every company has some bad product slip past quality control and their RMA service is excellent). I also have always had good luck with Mushkin but that tends to be a bit pricier than most other brands.

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I always get mine at RAM-O-Rama!

Just kidding. Crucial isn't anything special anymore, though there seems to be a lot of residual loyalty to the brand. Nothing wrong with them though, as far as I know. Really any reputable major brand will work. Check Newegg and see what gets the best/most reviews these days.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Apple actually charges $400 for 8GB of ram. They set that price a few years ago, when the cost for 8GB were probably around $200 or so. They never adjusted it to market prices.

Brand memory seems to go for $40-$50 this holiday shopping season, and down to $20 in some sales. So don't worry, $45 is not cheap, you're getting quality RAM.

7. sliesnham macrumors newbie

I use Crucial too. It's just RAM to me, no overclocking/speed issues to worry about. Just reliable, dependable, and reasonable price is all you need. Crucial seem to deliver this and their new M4 SSD's seem pretty good too although I went with OCZ in the end as I got a better deal.

8. Gillespie81 macrumors regular

i have g-skill which is also on newegg.
    no issues.