Where to buy Ram?????

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Modacke, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Modacke macrumors member

Modacke

What is a good website where I can buy good quality ram for my mac pro and what brand do you recommend?

Thanks....

2. Cboss macrumors 6502

I would recommend either Crucial or OWC memory. Both sell high quality memory for decent prices. Just google each one for the websites.

3. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

I will say from experience OWC has great prices and lousy customer support. It's taken me three weeks to get a replacement for my Mac Pro ram.. they 'forgot to ship it out' and then 'lost my cc number'
    it should be in the mail tomorrow.

4. Nalp2010 macrumors member

I recently bought some RAM (16GB) from OWC without any problems. :)

5. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

Yeah my purchases went fine... however ever tried an RMA with them? go with Crucial.

6. Modacke thread starter macrumors member

Modacke

Do u mean Ram???

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no, rma

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

RMA when you return stuff. Yea OWC was a pain in the ass about it + I had to pay out of my own pockets to return the goods for their mistake.

I ordered from transintl.com and it always ships the same day and receive it the next day (chose next day shipping of course) and ordered 16gb of RAM for the 2.66ghz mac pro and 16gb of RAM for the 2.8ghz mac pro all look exactly the same if not bigger fins than the stock apple RAM and runs without any heating issues (actually runs a little cooler than the apple stock RAM) + no ECC errors or any errors.

9. Modacke thread starter macrumors member

Modacke

Also can somebody give me a link to wear they show you how to upgrade the ram. Also Im going to get an Anti-Static Wrist Band protector, and it says I ned some metal to ground it. What is a household item that I can use to Ground??

Thanks

10. Modacke thread starter macrumors member

Modacke

I was going to buy the ram over the phone, can you buy over the phone with this website? Also with crucial.com can u pay over the phone? Finally which is better crucial.com or transintl.com

Thanks A bunch.... :D

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ive never used any precautions like that and ive never effed up anything

i just open the package and plug it in

12. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I used one, I just clipped it to the mac pro.

I also was wondering. When dealing with sensitive electronic components.
    In a room that is carpeted. Should i go bear foot or wear sneakers?

13. RDM macrumors member

14. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Shoes, assuming they are rubber soled. BUT THIS IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR A GROUND!!!!!!!

As for the strap, you can just clip it to the metal of the case. That should bleed off any charge difference between you and the computer. Some random piece of metal probably WILL NOT work, it's almost certainly insulated (probably mounted in/sitting on something wooden).

15. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I have to agree with the posts above recommending crucial for Ram. I am semi-savvy, and was comforted by crucial's webpage that allowed me to select exactly which computer I have to determine that the ram they were selling me would fit.

16. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

What You Need To Know

upgrading is really really easy.

you don't need to worry about static... pretty much ever. Like, just touch your mac pro before you open the ram, I've been in tech for years and i've never had any problems nor hear of anyone having problems.

HOW TO INSTALL
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacPro_MemoryDIMM_DIY.pdf

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Crucial 100%. I've bought from them twice, (2 GB and 1 GB) and have been extremely satisfied with their RAM both times. I will buy from them again, and I highly recommend them.

18. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

19. fredr500 macrumors regular

Ramseeker

Go here:
    http://www.ramseeker.com/memory/Mac_Pro_KITS/

they show prices from everyone, updated several times/day.

Omni Technology makes it their business to have the lowest price all the time. I bought my first 4GB from them and have not had a problem ever. They answer the phone quickly, the person that answers is very technical and will work with you to make sure you are getting the lowest price (if you go directly from their website the price is higher, to get the low price you need to get there from ramseeker).

They are currently $75 for 2x2GB, trying to decide if I should get 4GB now or wait for another price drop.

(I have no relationship with any site mentioned, just a satisfied customer)

Fred