where to buy recommendations please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lasloduncan, May 20, 2016.

1. lasloduncan macrumors regular

2012 used "refurb" non retina-

-"arrow direct" has come up?

I always value the information that you folks provide-of course my best case is, one owner only driven on sunday by aunt sally non smoker never wrecked well maintained etc and cheap is my goal...cheap is now affordable, "refurbed" with 90 day money back or return and the first thing I want to do is have it checked by my local mac authorized repair guys with their diagnostics...aside from the normal wear and tear for a 5 year old piece of gear-I am looking at 500 to 800 or so --am I in the ball park on any of this.??.

cl and ebay so far are pretty scary to me...looking more for a reburb used mbp outfit that buys and sells and is well known, established, etc. thank you all--seems like someone would do this but who? and preferably some of you have had satisfactory dealings with them. thank you very much for your trouble.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If I was going to buy a "refurbished" Mac, the ONLY place I would consider buying from is the Apple online store, which offers Apple-refurbs with a full 1-year warranty ...

3. nial43 macrumors newbie

I bought an awesome 2012 referred retina MBpro from this site; http://stores.ebay.com/affordamac/

1 year warranty, system was like new.

4. lasloduncan thread starter macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, May 21, 2016 ---
    geeezzz is that the best you guys can do.....???

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Craigslist.

Seriously though, you're looking for a used laptop not refurbished.

6. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Honestly I rather spend my money on a brand new one.... I don't like buying used electronics since I know if it's new I am the first one to touch it.

7. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

Depending upon where you live, Craigslist and eBay are good place to find used Mac, imho. Good sellers will communicate well and will disclose any issues or dents, marks and scratches on the the machine and its history. The box and often the receipt are available also.

If you go this route, make sure all the ports and the DVD drive works. Test out the internet and bluetooth. The screen is important too. Change the screen saver to a plain white and then a grey screen to check for dead pixels. I never worry about the hard drive because i consider it consumable and will be the first thing fail at some point. I replace it afterwards anyway.

The 15" 2012 cMBP machines aren't really selling quickly so you can get some good deals on them. I've actually purchased two in the past month. The first was a 2.6MHz/8GB/500GB for $600 in mint condition. It was too good of a deal to pass up. However, I didn't like the (1440x900) screen so sold it after two weeks for more than I paid for it. The second was a 2.3/16GB/500GB for $800 with the matte high res screen. This one even had six months of applecare on it. They were both in mint condition with boxes and receipts.

There is lots of garbage out there so you have to be vigilant and disiplined about how you decide. I find half the fun is finding the right machine.

8. lasloduncan thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, got a 15"iiThat I love ...touchpad is making me insane tho, more later...thanks for typing all of that out bought it from young mac enthusiasts that is honest and hell of good guy and from cl...that is pretty rare for cl.hahha
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2016 ---
    bee
    Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB