Where to buy refurbished Macbook for under $700?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by king.cobra, Nov 29, 2010.

1. king.cobra macrumors newbie

Greetings,

This is my first post so please bare with me :)

I am currently looking into making the switch from a PC to a MAC...I'm finally converting :D

So I am looking into buying a refurbished older Macbook for less than $700. I have found one at smalldog.com for $699 and it also includes the newer graphics chip X3100. (Or should I look for a used macbook on craigslist/amazon/ebay)

What do you guys think? Also, what should I be looking for at that price? (cpu, ram, HD)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. king.cobra thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply Sim,

I'm actually picking up a used macbook from craigslist with the following specs:

Model: Apple MacBook (Model 4,1)
    Color: White
    Processor Type: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 Ghz
    RAM: 4 GB
    Internal Hard Drive: 160 GB
    Optical Drive: Apple Super Drive
    Networking: Apple Airport Extreme Wireless and Gigabit LAN
    Mac OSX 10.6.5 Snow Leopard
    Apple iLife 2011
    Apple iWork 2009
    Microsoft Office 2011
    Apple Final Cut Studio 3
    Adobe Creative Suite 5

And the following extras:
    Brand New Battery
    Apple Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard
    Apple Bluetooth Wireless Mighty Mouse
    Apple Wireless Remote
    Apple AC Power Adapter
    Apple Airline Power Adapter
    Apple VGA Monitor Adapter
    Apple DVI Monitor Adapter
    Kinsington Laptop Bag
    320 GB WD external HD

All this for $650....good deal? :D

4. simsaladimbamba

I doubt you will acquire the proper and legal licenses for iLife, iWork, MS Office, FCS and CS, Just so you know, it would be pirating if you purchase these products, or at least leave them on the computer.

But somehow it sounds too good to be true, especially with all these hardware add ons.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

It sounds like a scam. You can't legally get that much software for that price. All the adapters also makes it sound like a scam.

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

At $700, you're looking at used MacBooks.... not refurbished. There's a difference. A refurbished from Apple will be certified and warranted. You'll also be able to extend the warranty to 3 years from date of purchase. I suggest the refurbished route.

7. lugubrious Guest

I actually don't think this deal is too far-fetched. You have to remember that this is the MacBook 4,1 which was released in February 2008, making it about 3 years old. Also, remember that this is the non unibody model with the 800MHz Front Side Bus speed.

With that being said, the software is where it gets a little iffy. That specific bundle of software retails for a pretty penny. However, I've seen stranger things on Craigslist that turned out to be legitimate. I like this deal if you see yourself using all the accessories or software. Else, you could probably find a newer "bare-bones" system in your price range.

(FYI I don't know if it's true or not, but I saw a 2009 MacBook 6,1 on my local Craigslist for $500.)