Where to buy replacement parts?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by skir0987, Nov 25, 2007.

1. skir0987 macrumors regular

Does anyone know where to buy replacement parts (mainly the glass screen) for the ipod touch? Mine recently cracked and I don't want to pay $270 to get it fixed. I've looked on google but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
    Shep

2. cjmal macrumors 6502

you're still going to end up paying 100+ for the screen, even if you find it somewhere like ebay.

3. skir0987 thread starter macrumors regular

Still... it's less than 270. I'm willing to pay up to around 150 to get it repaired (or repair it myself) rather than spending nearly 3/4 of the original price.

Shep

4. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

$270? Good lord almighty. Does that come with a kleenex to wipe the blood off your ass? :eek: Shame on you Apple!

5. skir0987 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, really. The glass screen would cost about $100 in total and then they have, say, a whole 20 minutes of labor costing about $10 at the most and $10 for shipping... What happened to the other $150 there? That's just ridiculous... The most they should charge is $150, for goodness sakes. Repairing broken iPods shouldn't be one of the main money making things for apple.

Shep

6. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

^^^
    Actually, ifixit sells the iPhone display assembly at $200. Plus the labour and the shipping, $270 isn't too bad. $10 for labour? Here it's 80 bucks a hour if you wanna get something fixed in Bestbuy of Futureshop. 20 minutes tops? Opening up iPod touch isn't a easy feat, it would take at least a hour to open up the case, disconnect everything, switch out the display, reconnect everything then reassemble the case and whatnots. Of course Apple gets the parts cheaper, but if you add in everything, the high price isn't that surprising. I doubt you can do it yourself for under $200. iPod touch is still a pretty new products, so the parts would be hard to find and expensive.
    Next time, get a case :p.

7. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wcn4GV-F0E

Good luck with trying to fix that in 20 minutes...it's extremely difficult to replace things on that:eek:

Considering the iPod touch display assemply is about $200 and you'll spend probably 2 hours trying to repair it, is 2 hours of your time cheaper than $70 or what Apple is charging?

8. skir0987 thread starter macrumors regular

If the display is $200 and iResQ will send you a new one with overnight shipping from central USA (which costs a lot) for $100... then either ifixit is a huge rip-off or iResQ is stealing parts to sell for less... which I don't think they'd do. So that takes off a good $100 to $150 right there...

Shep

9. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Hmm I just checked iResQ and they're selling the iPod touch screen for $130. Definitely not a $100 saving but a saving nonetheless. However, they include no instructions. iRepair have them on sale for $160 not including the shipping, and I'm not sure whether they actually repair them or not or if that's just the price for the parts. Either way, iPod touch parts are quite expensive. Also, doesn't it void your warranty when you repair your LCD by yourself or with another service company?

10. Josh1982 macrumors newbie

Its not hard to replace your screen

I do not know where you people have been looking but you can order a screen off e-bay.ca for around $10 that includes shipping as they ship it to you in an envelope.

I would recommend watching some video's on you tube first by some professionals but I just replaced two screen's that were cracked on two ipods in 30min. (they both work fine) I do suggest taking your time if it is your first time as you can easily break another part which in the end may cost you more. That being said. "Take your time. These things are fragile"

Removing the screen is not too difficult if you use a razorblades and carefully un-clip all of the 12 clips. There are ipod tools that are kinda of a joke since all you need is a guitar pick or something similar (a bread tie) to use as a spacer or wedge. Do not jam it in and always be slow. The top left is where your ribbon is that attaches your screen so be careful around this area in particular. If you cut the ribbon your screen is garbage. You use a small flat head and gently slide under the connection and it will release. Then you snap the new screen into place. You may also want to try a little glue but not recommended unless you are sure it is working as many people seem to need to take it apart more then once according to this forum...(we are all constantly learning and I have broken an ipod before by being to aggressive)

I am not suggesting this for everyone but if you have a little patience and would like to save a ton of cash, anyone can do it. Thanks