Where to buy tax free?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 08mxkfx, Oct 22, 2008.

1. 08mxkfx macrumors regular

08mxkfx

I'm looking to buy a new MacBook 2.4 and I was wondering what online stores are tax free? I'm in New York and amazon charges tax I don't too many other places that are tax free and carry apple.

2. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Unfortunately the only ones I can think of charge tax only in New York State, like jr.com and bhphotovideo.com. Does Macmall charge tax?

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

That sucks. I guess i have taken for granted that there is no tax here in Oregon. Is there tax in New Jersey? I though there was another state other than OR that had no sales tax.

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You will have to look for an online reseller that does not have a warehouse or outlet int NY (good luck) I know of a few music stores that are Apple resellers, but your looking at paying full price with no special offers. (Printer rebates and the like)

5. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

New Jersey has no sales tax on clothing but im pretty sure there sales tax on computers. I dont mind not getting the free printer rebate since i have like 5 free printers from all my old pc computers. I might try and get one off ebay

6. mbrydone macrumors regular

You could drive to New Hampshire...they're the other state besides Oregon

7. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Don't forget about Delaware! You could make it a day trip and visit a screen door factory.

8. Lyrrad macrumors member

I found macprices.net yesterday, and they seem to have a good comparison.

I've been eyeing macmall.com, onsale.com, and clubmac.com for purchasing the MBA where they don't have NY sales tax.

9. TooSixy macrumors newbie

Alaska, Oregon, Delaware, Montana, and New Hampshire have no state sales tax. However, there are cities in those states that have their own local sales tax.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

New Hampshire in Delaware are options.

Powermax is another repubtable dealer from Oregon. SmallDog is another very reputable Apple dealer.

11. mets1125 macrumors regular

You have to double check... A law was passed a few months ago by Gov. Patterson that requires online sales to NY to pay tax. Amazon never charged tax in NY until the law came out.

Heres a link from amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468512&#which

12. Lyrrad macrumors member

My understanding is that it only applied to retailers with affiliates/advertising within NY State, so it doesn't apply to all retailers.

13. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The state recently passed a so-called Amazon Tax, a new law compelling out-of-state online retailers to start collecting New York sales tax. The law, designed to recover sales taxes potentially lost to Internet purchases, requires any e-tailer with even a single affiliate site with a New York State address–say, a blog that earns a referral fee for sending customers to Amazon–to collect sales tax on all goods sold in the state, even those not sold through the affiliate.

So, yeah, the only way you'll avoid tax would be an ebay seller that's NOT in New York or NOT a business. A day or two ago they still had the live.com 30% off BIN, so it may end up being a hell of a deal (start by searching live.com for macbook).