Where to buy used 2011 iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aComicBookFan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. aComicBookFan macrumors member

Where is a good place to buy a used iMac? I know some forums have For Sale or Classified sections. This one does not seem to.

Craigslist is pretty empty and the deals aren't great for what does exist.

eBay is an obvious place and there are some units up for grabs there.

Thanks! :)

-=- Boris

2. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

You have to be an established member to get access to the classified forum. I believe it is 500+ posts. I would have thought such limited access would diminish the usefulness.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Can't Find or Access the Marketplace Forum?

4. Elbert C macrumors 6502

Have you looked at Apple's online refurbished store? Up to 15% off the original price and they all come with Apple's one year warranty.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If you buy a used one via CL or classified sections or whatever, just make sure you check the display for possible defects or lack of uniformity. Also keep in mind that the hard drive is not user serviceable. If you have problems, you have to take it to Apple. You can compare relative pricing. On a 2011 it should still be under warranty (can't recall when they came out), and you should have the option to add Applecare within that time period if you wish to do so. I don't think it's that bad of an idea on an imac, but you should take this under consideration with the price you are willing to pay. If the computer is nearing the end of its warranty, you don't want to spend as much as you would buying a refurb given that the refurb would at least come with a full year giving you more time to decide.

6. aComicBookFan thread starter macrumors member

Ahh, so there is a classified section here! Yeah, I don't have 250 or 500 posts to get in and I'm not planning to race my way to that. And by the time I do get that number of posts I'm sure Apple will have released a couple of revisions to the iMac anyways. :)

The refurbs on Apple's website are good deals until I take into account sales tax. With the addition of sales tax I am better off buying tax free off of Amazon.

I have been hearing more and more about the displays having quality issues. Some are yellowed. Others are distorted. There's trapped dust in a select few. And there are those with dead pixels. My PPC G5 display is flawless near as I can tell. Did the quality of displays fall since 2005?

I am not worried about the hard drives. They are inherently a risky item that is just waiting to fail. Any time you have moving parts in something and that any time that special something spins at 3600 to 7200 RPM you are just begging for trouble! My 80 GB drive hasn't failed yet but I know it's not going to last forever.

-- Boris