Where to buy Virtual PC for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thomasp, Aug 23, 2008.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know of where I can buy Virtual PC 7, ideally bundled with Windows XP Home? I've tried Amazon.co.uk and the Apple store but neither seem to stock it.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think you're stuck with trying to buy a second hand version on eBay. Microsoft bought the company who made it a few years back and stopped selling it :(

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Wow... blast from the past

I actually think I have a copy of this somewhere, but I don't have access to my house anymore :(

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, some of us are still stuck with perfectly fine PowerPC machines, but unfortunately need access to Windows every now and again :( I've got a copy of VPC5 kicking around running Windows 98, but I need XP, and I guess VPC5 won't really run at all well on Tiger...

I'm a bit reluctant to go with eBay, due to a total lack of experience purchasing stuff on there.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I hear you... if I ever get back inside my house I'll take a look for it :)
    Not sure when that will be

I'd be glad to send it to you for free

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. operator207 macrumors 6502

7. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

That is Virtual PC for Windows. It works only under Windows on Intel hardware.

8. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Mac version has never been free. That wouldn't work on my Mac, because the system specs state it requires Windows and an x86 processor - neither of which I have.
    Thanks for the offer, but don't worry about it - your profile suggests you're in the US, while I'm in the UK - shipping would cost quite a bit!

9. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

How much were you planning on spending on VPC anyway? Because even if it was just $70 then I'd say use that $70 to buy an old MS Windows machine, it'll probably run way faster than VPC would anyway.

And being a piece of discontinued software that obviously is never going to come out again since the entire reason for its existence has disappeared, then I don't think it'd be against forum rules if I told you you should download it off of a p2p system like bittorrent.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You could try one of the solutions bartelby suggested over here...

11. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, I don't have the space to run a second computer on my desk alongside my Mac... While that would be an "ideal" option, going for VPC is more convenient.

12. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Well, you wouldn't need another monitor keyboard and mouse, just the PC's mini-tower. You can share the monitor mouse and keyboard using a KVM switch.

13. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've got a PowerBook though... and quite a small desk!
    Thanks, I'll have a look into that, £20ish does seem quite cheap, but it's hard to tell if that includes a Windows installer or not (I daresay I could "find" one kicking around somewhere)

14. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

What exactly do you need MS Windows for? Since switching to OS X from Mac OS 9 I've only needed MS Windows for one thing spanning a 2 month period, and that was only because it was required that I use a particular windows-only program rather than a different mac compatible program that does the same thing. Other than that one event, I can do every single thing I want to do on OS X alone.

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm 99% sure it doesn't include a copy of Windows.

16. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I need to run a few relatively low-spec Windows-only applications which do not exist for OS X. I don't really need to run them enough to warrant buying a whole new computer (either a secondary Windows machine or an intelMac).

17. operator207 macrumors 6502

Ya, I thought I heard they made the PPC version free too around the same time. Guess not. Sorry bout that.

I agree with robbieduncan, check out that thread, if someone can get 1ghz from a 1.5ghz your 3 times faster than my 1.67 getting 300mhz in VPC.

18. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I've used Virtual PC on my sister's Powerbook G4 1.5 and it was basically useless (i.e. it took 5 seconds for the screen to refresh a mouse movement). Sluggish is an understatement. But if you must, then I would suggest eBay as well. I just recently bought my eMac on eBay as a first time buyer and it really isn't that hard. With regards to listings, you just have to use your common sense and you should be fine. Hope that helps.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Correction: It only works in Windows on x86 hardware. :D

20. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

You're right on that one (the one available on Amazons Sellers for $40 and up)- that one is just the program (or perhaps actually only the updater from VPC6- hard to tell....

Another one with XP Pro starts at $178 and one seller has it for $1000! LOL!
    http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Virtual-Mac-Windows-Professional/dp/B0002NT83U/ref=pd_sim_sw_1

Edit: OK there is one with VPC 7 (required for Tiger) and XP Home as the OP mentioned he wanted-- but it is still $179, although that one is new---
    http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Vir..._1_3?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1219890222&sr=1-3