Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Anyone know if there are any reputable (or even big brand name) online PC sellers that still ship PCs with Windows 7 installed?

Long story short, I need to buy my retired parents a new PC to replace their old PC still running that Windows Vista dog. Please don't tell me to buy them a Mac. I prefer Macs myself, but they are old people…. it took them YEARS just to become comfortable with the basics of Windows interface. My dad uses some business software which requires Windows (like tracking his multiple retirement accounts, annuities, IRAs, etc).

No chance in hell I can spend time to teach them to learn Windows 8. I don't have time to "build" a custom PC myself. I took the easy route in the past, I simply online-ordered them some low-end sub-$500 cheap PC from HP or Dell. The problem? Those big companies now only sell their PCs with Win8 installed. I really need a Windows 7 for my parents (because it still resembles the classic Win interface they they know). Anyone have recommendations?

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
You would probably have a better chance buying a refurb with Win 7 installed, and this link from Newegg conforms that some of their refurb laptops do have Win 7 installed. Note that even newer refurbs are installed with Win 8.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
No chance in hell I can spend time to teach them to learn Windows 8.

You can make Windows 8/8.1 look and behave almost exactly like Vista/7. All you need is a license for StartIsBack, set it to boot directly to the desktop, and you're good to go.

dbroncos78087

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2013
Northern Virginia
I would look into refurbed all-in-ones. Based on your price point, something by Dell or HP makes sense.

At work, we use the Lenovo M90/92z series. It's a bit more than what you mentioned but it's a great computer and provides a large 23" screen that the people who use desktops find to be large enough to manipulate Excel documents and view their email. The way you've described your parents that should do well.

I got my grandfather a Dell OptiPlex 390 for Christmas a couple years ago and it works great for him. Now I had to buy him a separate monitor but that's another option.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
HP sell their business desktops and notebooks with Win 8 Pro. Pro allows you to install 7 Pro for free and very conveniently that's what's pre installed on the Probook G0 notebook and HP 4300 desktops I supply to customers for over the last year if they wish (95% do) to have a Windows 7 system here in the UK. The Win 8 install media is inside the box and an 'optional' upgrade. :D

I prefer to buy business grade systems for even my home user clients, they are far better built, more reliable, easier to service and easier therefore for me to support all round.

Last edited:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Anyone know if there are any reputable (or even big brand name) online PC sellers that still ship PCs with Windows 7 installed?
CyberPowerPC still lets you configure PCs with Windows 7. I was able to configure what I would consider a reasonable system for aging parents for about $750 including Windows 7 Home Premium without a display. And they include a 3 year warranty.

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
http://stores.ebay.com/OffLeaseAvenue?_rdc=1
They also have a regular web page where they have a slightly different selection of products. All/most of the products were used in a corporate environment at a top 10 company on the Fortune 500 http://www.offleaseavenue.com

Disclaimer: I work for a (or the) company that sells through that site. I get no financial benefit if someone buys from there but it's worth looking at.

well since you work there I bid on something good...

----------

yes there is Dell refurbished, Lenovo refurbished, Apple refurbished..and Amazon all with good deals..

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Microcenter carries a lot of business PC's which include Windows 7. Many of them are brand new.

Windows 7 Pro

Also are you sure the current Vista PC needs to be replaced? It may just need a cleaning and a RAM upgrade.

I'd reconsider one with 8.1. They'll be up to date and it doesn't take much more time to show someone how to use it than Windows 7.

I've showed a lot of elderly people how to use Windows 8 and it only takes me a few minutes. I just teach them how to get out of Metro and to the familiar desktop.

With 8.1 it is even easier as you can set the desktop to be the default and Metro interface to default to an all programs view. Then all they have to know is if they accidentally open a Metro program (one with no X to be found) to just hit the magic Windows key on the keyboard to get back to the desktop. Plus to go to the very bottom right corner to get to Settings for turning off the computer and the control panel.

Just be sure to start it up while not connected to a network for the first boot to make it easier to setup a local account with no password. Avoid setting up a Microsoft Account. It'll just confuse them.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I've showed a lot of elderly people how to use Windows 8 and it only takes me a few minutes. I just teach them how to get out of Metro and to the familiar desktop.

It's even easier if you use StartIsBack as it restores a Vista/7 style start menu. Sure, it costs money ($10 for 5 licenses, so not too bad) but the time it's saved me from having to deal with extraneous phone calls from confused parents has made it well worth the price.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
It's even easier if you use StartIsBack as it restores a Vista/7 style start menu. Sure, it costs money ($10 for 5 licenses, so not too bad) but the time it's saved me from having to deal with extraneous phone calls from confused parents has made it well worth the price.

I know the feeling but now that Paul Thorott of winsupersite has just been quoted saying the windows 8.2 will now be Windows 9 and have a normal start menu I think I will stick with 7 for clients and friends!

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/threshold-be-called-windows-9-ship-april-2015

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States

Long story short, I need to buy my retired parents a new PC to replace their old PC still running that Windows Vista dog. Please don't tell me to buy them a Mac. I prefer Macs myself, but they are old people…. it took them YEARS just to become comfortable with the basics of Windows interface. My dad uses some business software which requires Windows (like tracking his multiple retirement accounts, annuities, IRAs, etc).

No chance in hell I can spend time to teach them to learn Windows 8. I don't have time to "build" a custom PC myself. I took the easy route in the past, I simply online-ordered them some low-end sub-$500 cheap PC from HP or Dell. The problem? Those big companies now only sell their PCs with Win8 installed. I really need a Windows 7 for my parents (because it still resembles the classic Win interface they they know). Anyone have recommendations?

If you purchase from the business side of manufacturers web sites, most offer Windows 7 Professional as an option and it will be an option for the foreseeable future.

You will not find typical consumer/retail machines with Windows 7 preloaded.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I'll believe that when I actually see it.

He's the John Gruber of the Microsoft online world, unofficial spokesman and rarely wrong about about Microsoft. With 8.1 only on 25 million boxes MS have to do something and rescue themselves from this 8 debacle. Thought they had learnt their lesson from Vista, another mistake after 9 will be very costly for them!

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
He's the John Gruber of the Microsoft online world, unofficial spokesman and rarely wrong about about Microsoft.

Three years ago, I would have agreed with you. However, considering how much of the Microsoft Kool Aid he swallowed with regard to Windows 8, I have a hard time trusting anything he has to say any more.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Three years ago, I would have agreed with you. However, considering how much of the Microsoft Kool Aid he swallowed with regard to Windows 8, I have a hard time trusting anything he has to say any more.

I agree he went way OTT. As soon as I installed 8 RC I knew within half hour unlike 7 RC which was marvellous it was a pup no matter what anyone said. 8.1 was halfway, a big tidy up from the disorganised mess of 8 but still not good enough for me as a desktop OS. Apple wasn't stupid to even consider making OSX a half clone of iOS, those types of changes require a slow evolution over generations of OS period.

Reading his subsequent articles for the past year and even this latest one you can tell he's not quite the blind automation mouthpiece he once was.

Hope he's spot on cos I and my clients could do with a worthy successor of 7 x64! Microsoft simply has to get it right this time.

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA

Amazon.com

----------

You can download Windows Classic Shell and it will give you the start button..for free

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.