where to buy!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tycheong, Nov 11, 2008.

1. tycheong macrumors member

so i have set my mind on one of the unibody macbook pros.
    i would really like to buy it from a apple store
    but id like to save as much money as possible.
    is macmall.com a reliable site? a macbook pro is $1864.96 on macmall.
    i dont qualify for any discounts so, money is somewhat of an issue.
    apple has a black friday sale...no? is this black friday sale also online?
    if you guys know any online resellers that has cheaper sites than the apple store then please let me know...

2. bielen macrumors regular

I purchased my 2.4 ghz aluminum MacBook Pro from MacMall. Overall the transaction went smoothly. They call to confirm they order and ask about purchased related items such as a monitor or printer, but it wasn't high pressure.

It's a great deal if you want to buy Fusion or other products. You can pick up Fusion, a case a few other things for $10-$20 per item after the rebates.

I am still waiting for the rebates, but it's only been two weeks. MacMall did confirm that they received my receipts are processing them.

3. tycheong thread starter macrumors member

thanks

but what about places like Best Buy, Circuit City, or Fry's?
    i'm pretty sure they will have Black Friday sales but most likely not as much as the price on MacMall.com
    Which of the three stores i mentioned above usually have the cheapest price.
    are the sales on Black Friday greater than the Christmas sales?

4. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

wait to buy

the main page say possible sale on black friday. blackfriday.info for all of the other stores ads (when they become available). on black friday i would look at apple.com amazon and other online sites for the best price.

5. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

My advice is to find a way to get an educational discount.

Even if you aren't in school, everyone knows somebody that is. An acquaintance of mine wanted a new MBP and was ready to buy one until I told him that he could score one for $300 less at my campus bookstore. All I had to do was go with him and show my ID. He also scored some accessories for 10% off.

Worth a shot!

6. tycheong thread starter macrumors member

does any one perhaps go to stanford here? because my friend who is 13 years old got and educational discount along with a free printer and ipod when he got his iMac in the summer. he bought his iMac by himself and got the educational discount. does anyone know anything else about this?
    is it cheaper to get a MBP with an edu discount at an apple store or is it cheaper to get it with an edu discount at a local university book store (for example, stanford) ?

7. SWLinPHX macrumors regular

SWLinPHX

I have been purchasing from MacMall (among others) for many years and I just got my big MacBook Pro 2.53 order today (still in box!). Most resellers can't discount Apple's fixed prices (although there is a $100 rebate on mine), but with MacMall you get free shipping, free cases, free printers, etc. with your purchase and $50 off AppleCare (provided you have the patience and follow-thru to claim your rebates).

The most important thing is no tax, which would've been over $250 in my case. However, if you can get a student discount then that is good at 10% off (slightly better than no tax) but you probably can't get both (Apple always charges tax) and you usually don't get all the free extras & rebates with Apple, but you do get free shipping with either. Anyway, make sure you get one or the other. I never buy full price or pay tax (unless student discount) so I don't do the local electronics stores previously mentioned.

8. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Just wait till Black Friday. It's only a week away and Macmall has Black Friday sales, too.