Where to find a dead 80GB MBA hard disk

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Synchromesh, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

I need to find a dead MBA 80GB PATA hard disk from Rev A. MBA. I looked at eBay and Craigslist but don't see any. Am I missing any sources?

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

3. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

He looking to swap the dead hd into his Macbook Air that has runcore and bring it into Applecare.

The specs with the runcore were a dead giveaway.

4. Synchromesh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Obviously you won't make a good detective because otherwise you'd see that the Air with Runcore in the signature is Rev C which uses LIF/SATA drives. I'm looking for a ZIF/PATA drive from a Rev A machine which clearly will not work in Rev C. Not to mention that the original drive in Rev C is 120GB, not 80. And I still have it.

I need the drive for other purposes. They're not for my MBA which of this writing is alive and well.

5. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Well sorry then.

Call ifixit because they buy machines back and some machines have dead parts that they deduct the price on.

Also smalldog might be a place to try. Do you know someone in a school district or university that fixes computers? We get plenty of dead parts.

6. Synchromesh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

No problem.

Don't know anyone in school district sadly. I will try iFixit. Any other suggestions from anybody?

7. chown33 macrumors 604

Buy a live disk and kill it?

And if it has to be a dead disk, is its capacity really that important? A dead 120 GB or 60 GB acts just as dead as a dead 80 GB.

8. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

So why do you want a dead hard drive? Just wondering.

9. Synchromesh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

I need some parts off of the 80GB one, 'tis all. Makes no sense do kill a working drive for it to begin with.

10. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Yikes. Are you doing a main PCB swap, or something more invasive that should be done in a cleanroom?

What are the symptoms of the failed drive whose data you're trying to recover?

11. rschackle macrumors newbie

Mine's dead. I'm trying to get it replaced, but its yours for the cost of shipping.

I tried a Toshiba 80GB but it wouldn't format it Disk Utility (it was a pull from an iPod). Any ideas on where to find a replacement, or any other drives that are compatible?

12. Synchromesh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

You can look for them on eBay, there are plenty there for around $90-100.

13. Synchromesh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh