Where to find best price on Office 2011 for Mac & which version?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kathryn27, Mar 28, 2012.

1. kathryn27 macrumors newbie

I need Office for school/work and I was wondering where can I get the best price on this software? Also, do you all suggest the Home/Student or the Business edition?
    Thank you!

2. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

3. kathryn27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I'm in the US (unfortunately - would love to live in the UK!)

4. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

There must be equivalent (and better?) schemes in the US.

Times getting harder in UK.

I would love to live in the US! (as long as I had a good healthcare scheme)

5. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

If you're a college student, be sure to check what your college has to offer. Many places have very inexpensive deals for students.

6. kohlson macrumors 68000

7. beach bum macrumors member

beach bum

JourneyEd

I use JourneyEd.com a lot for my software purchases. The site was recommended by my IT instructor. MS Office 2011 for Mac (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook) - $84.95. You will need to scan your school id and attach for verification, but once it's on file you will not have to re-scan for future purchases.

8. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

If you have a MicroCenter by you, they sell the academic version. Just show them your student ID.

9. jtara macrumors 65816

Your official, walk-in college bookstore is almost always the cheapest route for software, especially Microsoft and Adobe. They will usually beat any online student deals, Apple Store, etc. This is especially true for large statewide systems (U Cal., Cal State, etc.)

I can't think of any good reason to get the Business Edition.

10. boriscolombia macrumors member

make sure if you do get office for student not to reinstall it more that 3 or 4 times because the student edition key will stop activating and there is nothing you can do, last year I got my MBP and got office from school for like $17.99 dollars, my wifi card came defective and I ended getting the MBP swapped at the apple store (all within 14 days) then a month later I decided to add an SSD and had to reinstall the OS X because by restoring with time machine the computer was booting and lagging, (2nd time) so I installed a clean SL OS X and then Lion came out and again the system was lagging and slow with TM so I did a clean install of Lion by this time I couldn't activate my copy any more. my 2 cents.

11. jacob-07 macrumors regular

Like others have mentioned, definitely check what your school has to offer. I purchased my MS office a lot cheaper than what retail stores were selling it for.

12. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

There wasn't a number you could call to activate? I know this is old, but with Windows XP and Office XP, and I think Office 2004, when it wouldn't take my registration key I would be prompted to call a number. They'd ask if this was the only machine it was installed on and give me a new key. Never had any issues.

And I installed that copy of Windows XP at least 20 times.

13. boriscolombia macrumors member

yes old thread and everything but when you call MS activation line it says the number has been used too many times and there are no more options.

14. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Interesting. Not even any way to talk to someone and find out for sure what's going on?

I recently installed '11 onto my Mac. Terrible experience. It did state on the box 1 user 1 Mac, so maybe it is tied to one Mac and if that one does you have to drop $120 again.

I'll stick with Pages/OpenOffice.

15. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

16. Rennir macrumors 6502

Schools usually offer the best deals. In my case, my school offered me Adobe CS6 Design Premium, Windows 7 Ultimate, and either Mac or Windows version of office all for free :D