where to find cheap 10.6 box pack

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by furcalchick, Sep 13, 2009.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm very disappointed in apple and/or amazon right now. apple told us way back in june that the box set was the legit way to go to upgrade from tiger to snow leopard (no, i'm not interested in being dishonest, so don't even suggest it, and i want to upgrade ilife). a few days after it comes out, amazon.com runs out of snow leopard box sets and they still have plenty of the $29 version. nobody else i looked at even offers the box pack, even though some of them have the standalone at the ready. it's either apple didn't make enough box sets or no third party store is ordering any. i would like to know what's going on since they are plenty of tiger users on intel macs, or did apple assume that 90% of us already upgraded to 10.5?

ending the rant, i would like to find a place that sells the box set for less than $169, since it seems like the only place that has it right now is apple. thanks.

2. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Did you look to see if you can buy Leopard for less than $129.00 anywhere?
    If you had bought leopard then SL would have only cost you $29.00!

I agree with this poster, seems like you did not look very hard. And just because Amazon is out of stock right now, is no reason for you not to order it and be one of the first to have it shipped to you when Amazon has them back in stock.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That is all true - I didn't know whether the OP was interested only in Snow Leopard, or iWork and iLife also.

I didn't want to pay for iWork - I bought the $29 upgrade and paid full price for iLife.

4. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

yeah, i decided to look right after i posted this. i think the macmall one most interests me.

i want the newest ilife as indicated in the original post (i'm on '06), and btw Tomorrow, did you upgrade from leopard or not? plus, i'm not into the hassle of having two os upgrade install discs.

i think the point of my post was that the snow leopard box pack has less stock than the regular upgrade box, but that's understandable, but at some places, it might as well not exist.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

My upgrade was from Leopard on a mid-'08 iMac. It worked flawlessly. iLife upgraded from '08 to '09.

I did not try to upgrade my MacBook (Tiger) directly to SL - I installed a new HD and installed fresh.

I don't think you need to upgrade to Leopard before you upgrade to Snow Leopard from a technical standpoint. If you're concerned about "doing the right thing" and following Apple's instructions for upgrading from one OS to another, that's certainly your prerogative and I won't try to talk you out of it; but I'm pretty sure it will work, nonetheless.

I think there's also less demand for it. Many people see the $29 price for Snow Leopard and have much less of a problem buying that than they do spending $169 for the box set. When I was at the Apple Store buying mine I didn't see a lot of box sets moving.