Where to find new old stock, MacBook MB467LL/A?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Charadis, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Charadis macrumors 6502a

After a lot of searching, I'm about to give up. I've been looking for a brand new early model unibody MacBook very recently (late 2008 version w 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo), but I guess it's to be expected they're all sold out. I've always admired the MacBook line, but never seriously considered one til a few months ago. I much prefer having the user replaceable battery door over the closed lid in the Pros; it's kind of an OCD thing

Every inquiry suggests I turn to eBay or craigslist, but I'd much prefer to buy new off of a retailer with receipt and warranty. I'm about to give up and just splurge on a Pro, but I thought I'd give this a shot and see if by chance anyone here might know where I could/should look where I haven't been looking to find one. Ie, like unsold stock in some store or something :)

Oh, and I've tried Amazon and Powermax already.

Thanks
    -C

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

You're not going to find a 'new' two and a half year old machine - the only chance would be to find a third party retailer who happen to have found some lost old stock. You'd have to pay a jacked up price though anyway so it would really not be worth it. Or collectors with sealed models but prices would be super jacked up and most collectors wouldn't have bothered with something as un-iconic as a model refresh.

The only benefits these old machines have are the user replaceable battery (which has a much shorter battery life though) and the express card slot. Other than that, they're significantly slower than anything in the current MacBook Pro lineup.

If you really want such a machine then you'll need to buy a well taken care of used model - you could still probably get one that is near perfect, hell my one only has a couple of tiny scratches/chips - only one off the top of my head. A lot of mac users are pretty 'anal' when it comes to their laptops and keep them in sleeves etc all the time. :)

3. Charadis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, that's what I've been running into mostly. :/ I was really hoping not to have to pay so much for a 2.5 year old system. I did find a company that has the MB467LL/A listed for over $1400, but the CSR said he could probably talk his manager down to $1250. Is this a good deal? I don't care about FireWire or the lack of an SD slot --the SD card would stick out anyways.

Aren't the base model mid-2010 MacBook Pros using the same 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo the higher-end late 2008 MacBook has equipped? If so, the base model is all I could afford anyways, and I'd rather have the removeable battery.

-C

4. Charadis thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have no idea how this site flew under my radar through all my searching. Thanks for the link. I couldn't find any MB467LLs, but I'll try calling tomorrow.

-C

5. darknite38 macrumors regular

Trust me, don't get the 2008 macbook.

Get the base model 2010 macbook if you want to. Even though the battery isn't easily replaceable it still has a great amount of battery life.

6. anhhungcodoc macrumors newbie

i have the model u r looking for. i have use it for 2 years but nothing is wrong with it except the i need to get a new battery since the current one doesnt hold much charge. i can trade with u for a 13 in macbook pro if u like :D

7. Charadis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Out of curiousity, why not? They are essentially the same besides the lack of features in the 2008, aren't they? I actually checked some of the new MBPs out at Best Buy last night. If I can't find a 2008 unibody MacBook, I'll probably end up with one of the newer MBPs.

-C

8. Charadis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nothing against used, but at the price Apple computers are going for (including used), I absolutely require the peace of mind with purchasing a brand new one - warranty, receipt, exceptional condition, excitement of unpacking a brand new system, and all that jazz. :)

-C

9. Paradigm macrumors member

Paradigm

Refurbished! http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook?mco=MTkyMTk5MjA

10. Charadis thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. iMouse macrumors regular

You're better off just spending the money on the 13.3 MBP.

My wife has a 13.3 Aluminum MacBook 2.4. Nice little machine, except that I've already had to replace the trackpad on it and the battery cover has a 2mm lip on it because the frame has slightly warped and Apple left a huge gap between the clips for the battery cover.

Many of these models have battery covers that are not completely flush with the bottom of the system after about a year's worth of use. It isn't a function issue, but drives my OCD crazy on a design standpoint.

The trackpads for the aluminum MacBook look the same as the MBP, but they're not. A little controller board on the trackpad is different on that specific model. I'm not sure if the black-bottom trackpads can accept a controller board from the blue-bottom MacBook trackpads, but if the controller goes bad....happy hunting!

The #00 triwing screws and pentalobe screws in the frame for the pivot tabs are a **tch to get out without damaging them.

12. chungasarnies macrumors newbie

Is a user replaceable battery more important to you than increased speed, functionality, battery life and resale value. You can have a brand new 13" pro for $100 less than Apple was asking for the refurbished model you're looking at, and it's in a whole different league...

13. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

$1250 for a three year old machine when a $1199 brand new entry level MacBook Pro is far superior in pretty much any way? No way is that a good deal.

Is having a removable battery with a casing that can warp over time really worth it? The battery life in the model you want is a fair chunk shorter anyway so I don't see the appeal in lugging around two batteries. (The battery life on MacBook Pros these days is calculated more conservatively back then so there's a good chance that a new MacBook Pro will last twice as long as the machine you're after).

If it's because you want to be able to replace the battery in the future then bear in mind that a replacement battery costs $129 for the model you want (and they will probably end of line even those in the not so distant future). Apple's battery replacement service for the new MacBook models costs.... $129.

If you spend $1250 on that old model MacBook then it will instantly depreciate in value to the tune of about $500. If that's your budget then buy an entry level MacBook Pro. You won't be disappointed.

14. California macrumors 68040

California

They still pop up in the refurb section. But I owned three of them when they first came out, had to return them ALL. Hated the screen. Hated lack of firewire. Not that great. Not sure what your jones for it is?

15. Paradigm macrumors member

Paradigm

How about this one?: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC374LL/A?mco=MjEwNzU2Nzc

I know its a Pro, but better graphics, screen res, battery life and processor? You can always put an SSD in this one, very easily, and reinstall the OS from the installation discs and if you have a TimeMachine Backup, be right back where you were before you installed the SSD! I did that to my April 2008 17" MacBook Pro, less than 13 secs bootup, almost as fast my new Air!

16. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

The model you're looking for is a fantastic deal used on eBay, I recommend it to people shopping for a newer used Mac all the time. New, however, I don't recommend. Your need for the removable battery SHOULD be overshadowed by the fact that said battery only shipped in one generation's worth of machines and that you will most likely have problems finding the replacement that you want the convenience of being able to swap. Being the first DDR3-based, GeForce 9400M-based, Unibody 13" Laptop, it's a great buy used as it is the cheapest that one will find a laptop with those features used for. I understand the desire to have a warranty and a receipt and I recognize the joy of unboxing a new piece of technology, especially a computer, but everyone on here is right, you're far better with either a white Unibody MacBook (which has the same, if not better specs) or a 13" MacBook Pro; it doesn't really matter which one, any of them save for the lower-end Mid-2009 model will be much faster than the one you're currently looking for. In short, it's ridiculous, look for one of the newer ones. You'll sacrifice a removable battery bay in exchange for a far more reliable, longer lasting battery, and oh yeah, A FASTER NEWER COMPUTER THAT WILL LAST YOU LONGER.

17. Charadis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well that's discouraging. I appreciate the input on your experience with the model I'm looking for. It's certainly the least of what I expected, but Al is a pretty soft metal and I can definitely picture your wife's situation. I've went ahead and Googled the Macbook warping, and it appears to be a fairly widespread problem. Thanks again for the input, you may have saved me a bit of trouble.

-C

18. Charadis thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a bit more complicated for me to explain. I have an OCD issue with "trapped" batteries; I don't mind if for the battery in a phone to be encased like that, but for a laptop it feels cheap and almost as if the laptop is a "disposable device" like disposable cameras with the nonreplaceable battery.

I usually have my computer plugged up to the wall and rarely travel long distances to take advantage of the long battery life. Sometimes, I like to remove the battery while at home so I can just have it plugged up and not waste the charge cycles on the battery. But with the new Pros, I'd have to take the system apart just to do that, and that's probably not even an option to consider.

-C

19. Charadis thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just explained why I prefer the removable battery in my post above, but in short, because I usually use the system at home like on a couch or in the den. I have it plugged up most of the time, so I usually like to remove the battery to save the charge cycles, and I don't travel enough to justify a longer battery life (thought convenient). Also, because I like the novelty that this system is the last MacBook made by Apple to support user-replaceable battery - I'd feel more in control with how I use my system that I paid for rather than Apple telling me that I have to send my system to them for battery servicing in order to retain the warranty.

I went ahead and researched the MacBook warping, and that has discouraged me quite a bit....especially for the high price that this unit seems to command.

-C

20. Charadis thread starter macrumors 6502a

I called Apple, and the guy who answered told me they don't even sell the MB467LL/A in the refurbs anymore. If that's the case, I totally feel lied to. As for firewire, I don't have any firewire devices to take advantage of this feature, and I heard the screens were "silently" upgraded in units made after April 2009. But it's the removable battery option and more control over my system that strikes my fancy....or preference. See above posts.

Thanks, but with tax, the price ends up being over $1000. I do love the new Pros though, and I played with one at Best Buy. Still, I found an even better deal through Amazon. :)

-C

21. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

If your problem with batteries is such an issue then you're only options are to either buy a used model on eBay and deal with the lack of warranty (although as has been stated numerous times, it's got poorer battery life, is slower, has a worse screen than newer models and can suffer warping) or buy an iMac and live life free of battery worries.

For what it's worth, you're not going to waste any charge cycles on a laptop if you keep it plugged in since you're not using the battery.

22. cube macrumors G5

It has no firewire. It's not possible to add it.

At least with the newer ones it's possible to change the battery if you have the right screwdriver, so I'd say they are better.

It would be different if you talked about the 15" original unibodies, which not only have a removable battery, but also ExpressCard, so that's why I rushed to get one on closeout when the downgraded ones were announced, even if a laptop was not in my plans at all.

23. Charadis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, Yebubbleman. I'm not extreme with specs, but I do see your point. The reason I wanted the MB467LL/A opposed to the lesser, more economically priced MB466LL/A was because it was the most up-to-date with the lowest-end, more affordable MacBook Pro 2010 model. But all the bad input made the older model seem less of a good deal.

After much hunting and consideration, my venture has come to an end. I went ahead and bought a MacBook Pro last night through Amazon. I want to thank everyone for your input and your advice. I'd still like an MB467LL someday, but probably just for novelty.

Regards,
    -C

24. Charadis thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see, but doesn't the battery gradually discharge when not in use? Anyways, I went ahead and splurged on a MacBook Pro. Thanks again for the input. :)

Attached Files:

25. Charadis thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've never used a firewire device. In my life. I've been a PC for awhile and wanted to get my first MacBook (I have owned a Powerbook 100 that I bought on eBay ages ago, but that's another story...). I do like the expresscard option though. I've never really considered anything larger than 13.3" before so I never researched anything larger than that....the 13" is expensive as it is already. lol

-C