Where to find printable or lightscribe Dual Layer and Rewritable media?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by velocityg4, Apr 20, 2008.

1. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well I have searched several shopping sites (newegg, office depot, officemax) and the forums but I can not find the media I am looking for.

Specifically I am looking for both Lightscribe and Inkjet printable DVD+/- RW and DVD +/- R Dual Layer, my burner can handle any of the formats.

I do not need regular DVD R media I know where to find that.

What I have found.
    DVD -/+ R Dual Layer Inkjet Printable media

So I am trying to find the following
    DVD -/+ R DL Lightscribe Media
    DVD -/+ RW Lightscribe Media
    DVD -/+ RW Inkjet Printable Media

What I would prefer is Lightscribe media but if all that is available is Inkjet then I suppose that will do. Basically I like the clean look of Lightscribe and can not stand the sloppy look of writing on the disk by hand nor will I use those stick on labels. Also with the Dual Layer media I would prefer a cake box of 25 or more as for the RW all I need are 20 or so for my monthly backups.

Edit: Before it is suggested yes I do back up to hard drives. These backups are to a RAID setup on my network. However I keep DVD backups of important files. I also keep updated slipstreams of various versions of Windows on DVDs and Ultimate Boot CD for Windows.

2. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I think I saw lightscribe discs on Amazon.com a little while back...

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I've found both

DVD -/+ R DL Lightscribe Media
    DVD -/+ RW Lightscribe Media

in my local staples store. My guess is that they must also have it on line.

The DL came in a 10 pc cake box, but they may have other volumes; the RW was in a 25-pack.

Good luck!

4. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Fry's electronics usually carry all the above & most times has they are cheaper. BTW, They also price match.:D

5. Tattoo macrumors 6502

http://www.discmakers.com/

6. velocityg4 thread starter macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I could not find them there just regular DVD+/-R with lightscribe.
    Though it was not mentioned as lightscribe online I did see some HP discs whose tops looked like lightscribes in a picture. Since HP pushed lightscribe I will have to pop into my local Staples.
    Fry's is great. Too bad they are so far from where I live now. Though I prefer Lightscribe over inkjet I do not prefer it enough for the two+ hour trip to pick up 25 to 50 LS discs. Oh well:(
    Are there lightscribe discs too? All I could find are inkjet printable, so I will still keep in mind.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
    Please keep the suggestions rolling in. With direct links if possible. This is why MacRumors is such a great place.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

According to to the lightscribe.com website there are no Lightscribe Dual Layer DVDs available at the moment. If someone knows differently and can point me at them, I'd be grateful :)