Where to find super high quality video?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Natesac, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I'd like to find some super high quality video clips for some testing on the 3rd gen iPad. I guess this new 2K standard would be a good starting point.

I want to try serving the same clip several ways to test how well Air Video and other apps display on the iPad. As well as testing some of this conversion software.

I just need some content. Something pretty, short, free, and legal to download.

2. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

I was unable to get iPad's Quicktime decoder to play anything higher than 1920x1080. I tried 2048x1152 and it failed... It's surely just a software limitation. I tried to play it through FileApp and Goodreader to bypass the iTunes check, and it still failed.

Something like Goodplayer (which does its own decoding, like VLC) will probably play higher than 1080p, but anything that uses the built-in decoders probably won't. This includes Air Video, unless you have the server re-encode it, which will lower the resolution anyway.

You can download a 2K clip of Yosemite HD from YouTube. It makes a great demo (even at 1080p).

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

2K is about the same as 1080p and yes that 1080p is about the best resolution for the iPad. You can download off iTunes or use Safari for YouTube.

4. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Cool, thanks for the info. Sounds like she maxes out at 1080p

So for those of you who have used Air Video, is there a better software/app combo that does a better job? I have had the app for a while and I am just now getting into using it.

I like the idea of streaming my videos from the computer to save space on the iPad.