where to find the iPhone contacts and SMS backup???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vegas-steven, Sep 30, 2008.

1. vegas-steven macrumors regular

hi,

I posted this hours ago in the iPhone hacks forum but no answer and I really want to jb my phone today.

I was using the method described in the hacks forum to use quikpwn to jb the phone and then add back my SMS and contacts.

I can SEE the backup files and can SEE the date and time but am confused:

The file are only a few kb in size. Can this be right? There are 3 files created when I sync the phone to back it up. They all have the same date and time on then but are so small.

So my question is:

What exactly do I need to backup so after a clean 2.1 I stall and jb I can put my co facts and SMS back?

Thanks a lot for any help. I am nervous about this stuff as I rely on my phone.

2. vegas-steven thread starter macrumors regular

anyone? Please?
    What files do I need for this backup?

3. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

you don't need to (and shouldn't be) messing around with the backup files yourself. After you jailbreak, iTunes will ask if you want to restore your phone from a backup. That's when you select the most recent backup, which will restore your SMSes and everything. Contacts can just be synced back from whatever program you use on your computer.

4. vegas-steven thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhh ok. So after I use quickpwn to jb I want to open iTunes and it will automatically ask if I want to restore.

But doesn't a restore restore the ENTIRE operating system and negate the jailbreak?

That is what I thought which threw me off.

5. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

No, when you "restore" from a backup, it just loads the backed up settings... SMSes, call logs, settings, etc. It doesn't negate the jailbreak.