Where to fix water damaged MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Dynax, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Dynax macrumors newbie

Hey there, my MBA 2010 (13") hast just died because of my brother spilling red wine over its keyboard.

I have taken all precautions needed to avoid further damage (shutting down, disconnecting power plug and battery). It went to a Apple Retail Store but they're not even trying to repair, instead they'd just replace every single part - for 1300 EUR!
    They said it would still boot up but turn off after a while.

Now my brothers insurance will come up for my loss and I already ordered a new MBA. But I really want to try to save my old MBA, even if it costs around 200-300 Euro.

I dont want to try fixing it by myself, I might just make it worse as I'm not skilled at all at fixing electronics.

Is there any dealer or work shop you know that can handle such issues?

Thanks a lot!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sorry, but 200-300 Euro isn't likely to get your MBA repaired by anyone
    Not even a DIY job

3. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

This same problem happened to me. I took the hard drive, and ram out, disconnected everything. I let it sit out overnight, and the only thing not working now is the trackpad. And that can be fixed for ~$100. So I'd just leave it out overnight, you might get lucky.

4. ericDylan macrumors regular

If you don't mind my asking, what insurance did your brother have? I have been thinking about getting accidental insurance for mine, but i don't know where to get it from. I don't want to spend $300 on AppleCare because that is like 25% of the entire laptop. I might as well wait and buy a second laptop.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Was this a MBP or a MBA?
    Very different

6. Dynax thread starter macrumors newbie

I cant say for sure, it's something very common here in Germany. I think it's called personal liability in english? I'm also insured for about 70 Euro / year.
    It covers any damage you've done to somebody ELSES possession (except cars), if done without purpose of course. So it doesn't really help if you're insured by yourself and drop your MBA by accident.
    And the money you get is only about the value the device had at the time before it was damaged, so my 1year old MBA (bought for 1250 Euro) got me about 850 Euro back from my brothers insurance.

Apple Care is really expensive and doesnt cover anything like that, no matter if done by somebody else or yourself.

I got something like this accidential insurance for my new MBA. Actually Amazon Germany sells these along with expensive devices. So when I'm about to put the item into the shopping basket, I get asked wether I want to get this insurance for 2 years (90 Euro). You can even extend it to 3 years and add theft-insurance (170 Euro). Its FAR better and cheaper than Apple care!

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463375173&pf_rd_i=301128

I found something similar at the UK Store:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00448MFW0/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=computers&psc=1

7. KPOM macrumors G5

AppleCare does not cover accidental damage (though AppleCare+ for the iPhone does, and I suspect Apple will roll out such a product).

I purchased a personal articles policy for my MacBook Air from the provider of my homeowner's insurance. It was $33/year with a $250 deductible, and covers theft and accidental damage. SquareTrade offers similar coverage without a deductible for about $150 for 3 years, but it requires purchasing one of their extended warranties for about $200.

8. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Oh it was a MBP. Are they really that different? Did not know that.

9. ericDylan macrumors regular

I believe the difference lies in the way apple repairs them. It is more expensive to repair MBA screens because, in addition to Apple having to replace the entire lid along with the screen, it has a higher resolution in a smaller package.

10. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Very different. RAM is soldered directly onto the logic board (non-upgradeable) for example.