Where to get 24" x 8" prints

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by wmmk, May 12, 2007.

1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

Hi everyone,
    I'd really like to print this:
    [​IMG]
    as a 24" x 8" or so, but am not sure where I can have this done. I'd really love if I could have it printed on high quality matte paper. I'm not talking about slightly thickened printer paper. Any brick and mortar print shop with locations in Chicagoland or online place that ships to the US would be good, but B&M is preferable due to the size of the print.

2. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

some places like kinkos have some really nice printers for big ads and the like. I'm pretty sure they could print it on one of those printers for a price :)

3. beavo451 macrumors 6502

4. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

Whoa, thanks for the quick reply. Does kinkos use paper with good dynamic range? If I hadn't put so much work into split toning, I'd just use Ilford B&W.

5. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

I seriously don't know much about it. it was just an idea. I've seen people going there to print ads and pictures.. but I seriously don't know much about it.. If there's one close to you, you could go and ask them.. or just call them :)

6. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

7. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Is this two different pictures? Why not have two different prints made?

8. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

because it's a diptych, and it's convenient. ;)

9. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I'd call the folks at Delano Color Imaging and see if they can handle it, they're a top-notch lab. I've had large prints done there and been mighty impressed with the results.

Their site is:

http://www.delanocolor.com/

10. brett33 macrumors member

I could print it for you.

I have some Hahnemühle German Etching Paper that B&W and toned prints look really good on.

Hit me with an email and we can try to work something out.

11. Zeke macrumors 6502

I'm sure you've thought of this but you could always print as 16x24 with white space top and bottom. Might be cheaper than the custom size stuff.

12. PixelFactory macrumors regular

wmmk,

As a fellow chicagoan, try calling Cushing (www.cushing.com). They are located on Huron. I use them all the time. They can do a quick turnaround and prices tend to be much better than kinkos.

13. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

My brother-in-law got a great print at kinko's. I went (different store) and my results weren't nearly as good. I have a feeling it's dependent on who's working there.

One thing to consider before you get your print is how you're going to frame it. Custom frame jobs are expensive, so if you can find a frame that's the right size, you're better off trying to make it that size.

I haven't used them, but http://www.ezprints.com/ezdirect/products.asp?Type=Panorama
    looks good, except it has to be in 6-inch increments for height.

By the way, the image that you have, I would think would work much better as two prints, one above the other, as opposed to one image. Alternatively, you could align them horizontally, but I would have each one framed individually. Two pictures together without any border tends to be visually unappealing. Not that you asked for my opinion.:cool:

Dave

14. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Second vote for WHCC- they're amazing, and if it doesn't meet your expectations, they'll reprint for free without even seeing the original.