Where to get a bigger charger for the new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by interinfo, Mar 17, 2012.

1. interinfo macrumors regular

Since it is the same charger as the Ipad2 and the battery is almost double, it takes almost double the time to charge, someone mentioned that apple has a 50 Watt charger for about 30 $ , anyone knows more ?

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

3. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

I'd be interested in something like this too, charging the iPad is painfully slow!

4. homeboy macrumors 6502

We'll soon be getting a Macbook air sized charger. I'm sure it will come with the next iPad but we will have to pay up for it.

5. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

Jesus that was a sarcastic joke since Apple loves to overcharge for stuff like that -.-
    No such charger exist.

6. dave420 macrumors 65816

But $30 is what Apple charges for an iPad charger. It does come with a longer extension cable that can be detached as needed.

7. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

I would bet that very soon some third party company will release a more powerful charger for use with our iPad 3's.

8. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Don't waste your money, it simply won't matter. The charging RATE is controlled by the circuitry in the iPad. You could hook it up to a 10,000 AMP HR battery charger and it won't make a difference. You would need hardware level access to change the charge RATE (the amount of charging current allowed to reach the battery). If it was too high the battery will swell up (watch this video) and the iPad will get so hot it would melt, then the battery would finally explode. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsgnZCEeqsE.

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

This is true. You can increase the charge rate by lowering resistance and increasing the current, but this creates heat based on an exponential curve.

10. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

If they did it would be a ripoff because it wouldn't matter. You can get one now, look for a Scosche 5AMP dual USB charger. Waste of money though.

11. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

ummm i would like to take that statement back thanks

12. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

I work a lot with lithium battery chargers for RC planes. A lipo can always be charged at 1C. 1C is the mah rating of the battery. 2C for example would be twice the mah value of the battery. There is no reason the iPad 3rd gen could not be charged at a higher value. If the new cells are 11amps you can safely charge them at 11amps then (1C).

I would not completely believe that the internal circuitry is going to limit the charge to less than the rating of the battery. I would more believe they would cap it at 1C. Many newer style lipo's can be charged at 2C-6C. Higher charge rates do reduce the overall life of the battery though.

13. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

With all due respect I fly giant scale r/c and I don't know anyone who flies electric that doesn't have some lipo packs that are now ruined or already bulging. The goal is to get a 10 minute flight and then be able to quickly recharge to be able to do it again. You really can't compare that kind of usage to an iPad.

I would expect the iPad's battery to be designed for long life at low current operation. And no possible way would Apple allow it to be charged anywhere near like what goes on in r/c. That would be insane on their part.

Michael

14. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

True to an extent, but we don't know what the max charging rate is. For example, you can charge an iPhone with an iPad charger and it charges a lot faster. It works splendidly. So it may be possible to go up to a 20W charger and have the iPad charge twice as fast. It's just impossible to say without actually trying it. But yes, too high and it could certainly be detrimental.

15. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

You can be sure that by design the charger output is rated at least 20% higher than the internal charging rate of the device or they would regularly burn themselves out.

I did tests with android phones when people were swearing they were getting 50% faster charges with larger USB chargers. I hooked a meter in line with the USB 5V line to the phone and used 5 different chargers varying from 5 watts to 50 watts @ 5V out and the current out of the charger TO THE DEVICE stayed the same no matter how large the charger was. Some said it was because I was measuring the INPUT to the device and not the internal circuity which was true but if the charge rate went up with a higher rated charger that would show up on the meter as a larger current draw.

The problem with when users say "it charged faster with so and so charger" is that unless the device was charged from the exact same level with each charger every time you can never tell. One guy said "my phone charged in 30 minutes instead of 3hrs." Well, duh, it was only 25% discharged when he did it. :)

----------

So wrong. This is a device sealed around LiPo. I have RC copters and watch my LiPo's swell after a limited number of uses. If this battery swelled even the slightest the iPad would crack. I'm sure you've seen all the LiPo exploding videos on youtube. These are my favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQheOtdCTjs

16. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

It does not charge an iPhone faster as the iPhone only draws 1a max--exactly what the iPhone charger can provide. Any observance of it charging "much faster" is purely placebo effect.

Michael

----------

Exactly my thoughts. You can't compare dealing with lipo batteries in an iPad to r/c use any more than you can compare r/c accident rates to full-scale.

Plus, I know of 3 incidents, in my r/c club alone, of r/c lipo packs catching fire while charging. One guy was charging in his garage and not in a fireproof setting and his whole house burned down from the lipo pack catching fire.

Michael

17. interinfo thread starter macrumors regular

Only way is to try out stuff, hope someone gets back to report

18. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I do notice that the iPad's charger gets warmer charging the iPad 3 as compared with the 1 & 2, though this could be due to charge time and not necessarily current draw.

19. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

What you are referring to is the discharge that causes the bulging. We are not beating up the iPad battery during usage like an RC aircraft. Charging lithium batteries at 1C is not puffing them up. Apple was charging the iPad 2 at 2.1 amps with a much smaller pack, there is no reason they could not use the same percentage on the larger cells.

20. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

If the internal circuitry was set up to charge the iPad faster, I would think Apple would include a higher powered charger. Since they didn't, I doubt we can do anything about it.

21. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

I don't agree. I fly electric helis also and fully understand the puffing problem. The puffing is from flying the packs too hard, we are not beating up the battery in the iPad like an RC heli. What I am talking about is the charge rate, not the discharge rate. Apple charged the iPad 2 at a more aggressive rate than the 3rd gen. There is no reason why they can't charge the iPad 3 at a higher rate. I would not be surprised if the reason they kept it at 2.1 amps is because maybe they don't regulate the amps inside the iPad and too many people might try and charge their iPad 2 with a faster charger if Apple had released one for the 3rd gen.

22. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

QFT.

But -1 for the video. They should know that most video editing programs offer a time-lapse function.

23. Tinmania, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

All the damage I have seen that was caused by r/c lipos was during charging. My friend who lost his house and almost his life was not discharging it when it caught fire and burned down the house. Let's be serious here and not dismiss the very real dangers in charging lithium batteries. Is the iPad at a point where another amp will damage it? Probably not but no one here can say for sure that it is. What we can say is that it would definitely generate more heat. (We already have people commenting about it now--I could only imagine if it got hotter.)

You simply cannot compare an r/c lipo, almost always charged outside the model, to a tightly packed consumer electronic device with a non-user-replaceable battery. Even if it is only an issue of reducing charge cycles that is unacceptable. And we don't know if that is the only issue.

More importantly, chargers are not expensive items (not even a "charger," it's a power supply). If you think Apple decided to let the iPhone 3 take this long to charge when it could have had it charge in an hour for pennies more I just have to wonder how stupid you think Apple is.

Michael

24. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

The swelling is from charging with too much current. Maybe flying hard can also do it (never saw it myself though), but they don't blow up from flying they blow up (as in explode) from charging and before they blow they swell like a balloon (that sounds awful!) Watch the video and if you don't like that video search Youtube for dozens of "exploding lipo" video and every one is during charging.

----------

Don't shoot the messenger.

25. interinfo thread starter macrumors regular