Where to get a Macbook pro battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smashy, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Smashy macrumors newbie

The battery on my 15inch 2010 Macbook pro is not holding a charge very well any more and its telling me its time to service the battery. I assume taking my macbook pro to an apple store will be expensive. I want to know if anyone knows of a good/trustworthy site to order a replacement battery. Google search only results in several random sites and ebay.

Thanks for any help.

2. straybullet macrumors newbie

On the same topic, but not entirely helping the OP answer his question. Does AppleCare cover battery issues like this?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery or charger, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoffs". Also, there is no assurance that non-Apple components will have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. Apple has not licensed its MagSafe adapter technology to any 3rd party. It's not worth risking your Mac to save a small amount of money.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
    AppleCare only covers batteries if they are defective. Read the Battery FAQ for details.

4. bobnugget macrumors regular

I think apple do a fixed price service to replace the non-removable batteries as you get in the 2010 models. Details are here in the battery replacement section. I'm not aware of anywhere else that does them. I've been on the look-out too, as I've got a 2010 15" - battery is fine so far, but I'm not expecting it to stay that way for too long!

5. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I just ordered a replacement battery for my early-2011 MBP from iFixit. I was really pleased with the battery ... genuine Apple (or a very close knock-off) and brand new. Once I got the proper tools, it installed without difficulty.

FWIW, I would not waste your money on iFixit's three-point screwdriver. Find a better quality one on which you can exert some torque.