Where to get aftermarket SSD fitted to iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gwelmarten, Aug 28, 2011.

1. gwelmarten macrumors 6502

Hi
    I have a 2011 i7 Quad core iMac with 1TB hard drive. I have bought a 6GB/s "Other World Computing" SSD and am looking to have it professionally put into my computer. I want to have it done by an official/authorised apple repair workshop as I value my warranty. Do official Apple stores offer this service with an SSD I would provide? Who would I ask to do this for me? Are there any problems with this make of iMac with the fan going wild with an aftermarket SSD?

Thanks in advanced

Sam

2. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Apple Store will not fit this for you. However, you can go to your nearest store and ask the staff to give you a list of authorized Apple repair shops near you. Then you can give each of them a call for a quote.

3. likegadgets macrumors 6502

Today I would consider OWC do the upgrade/ They have a solution to avoid the speeding fan issues on the 2011 iMacs.

See here: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/turnkey/iMac

I purchased a Crucial M4 and had a local Los Angeles, CA Apple authorized service to install it. They charged me $135 (SSD for HDD replacement rather than add on). However I need to use software (HDD FAN) to control the HDD fan.

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Yeah some of the local shops don't know what to do about the fan issue. My local shop only charged $85 but I have to run that software under OS X. In Bootcamp the fans work properly. Go figure.

Cheers,