Where to get extra RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jcgnu, Feb 26, 2008.

1. jcgnu macrumors regular

Hey everyone. I've never owned a MacBook Pro and I ordered one today that should arrive in a few days. It is the basic model and it comes (of course) with 2 GB of memory. I know that Apple charges an irrational amount of money for a little more RAM, so the best choice is to buy it from someone else.

I wanna go the right way since I don't want to make a mistake, and so I ask for your help.

First of all, is it right that if I change my RAM my guarantee won't work anymore?

Second, where should I buy it and are there any specifications that I should take into account?

I'd prefer it if it wasn't an online store. I don't live in the States, but I travel a lot there, so I could go to a store, but I wouldn't be able to get the product shipped to an address since I don't have one there.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Very much appreciated.

2. Melan macrumors regular

To your first, no it isn't right. Just do it without breaking stuff and it's fine. Use the guide on Apple's site.

To second, not sure about offline stores but the macrumors RAM buying guide (http://guides.macrumors.com/Buying_RAM) recommends official apple resellers
    If you live in Canada i'm pretty sure Crucial charge Canadians US prices, only the postage is higher obviously - about $13
    bb

3. jcgnu thread starter macrumors regular

Oh thanks a lot... Not Canada, Mexico... We have a lot of resellers here, but I'll probably go to the US soon so I might as well buy it there... I'm gonna check on Crucial, though, they might charge me only a few dollars for international shipping, thanks to good old NAFTA. Thanks again!