Where to get iPhone 4 unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KingOfPwnage, Jun 14, 2010.

1. KingOfPwnage macrumors member

Does anyone know if you pre-order the iPhone from Apple if you can buy the unlocked version for the full price? If not, where else can i get it besides craigslist and ebay?

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

There is currently no unlocked version for sale.

3. KingOfPwnage thread starter macrumors member

oh ok, but what i mean is can i get the phone without having an at&t account or committment?

4. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Yup, but I believe it's $600 for the 16GB :eek:

5. KingOfPwnage thread starter macrumors member

so i can preorder it tomorrow at apple.com without an at&t account or any other commitment to sign up? I only have to sign up with at&t to activate it right?

6. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

No this is false. Purchasing the $600 no-commitment iPhone does NOT mean it is unlocked. You still have to sign up with AT&T.

7. KingOfPwnage thread starter macrumors member

so i do have to sign up for an at&t plan if i buy it from apple.com for the full price? I'm just trying to buy the phone without signing up for at&t

8. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Yes. You can't order an unlocked phone from Apple. My advice is to wait a week or two for unlocked ones to show up on eBay and craigslist (they will be crazy expensive though)

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

How about email Steve jobs?

10. KingOfPwnage thread starter macrumors member

11. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Who told you there was an unlocked version? King of failure.:rolleyes:

12. KingOfPwnage thread starter macrumors member

not asking for an unlocked iPhone 4, just thought i could buy one without a contract or verifying my information with at&t. i have another carrier anyways, but there's no way to buy an iphone 4 to use it on?

13. Resist macrumors 68030

Yes this is true, you just can't unlock it.

14. iKrl macrumors regular

I know there is no possible way to get an unlocked iPhone in the states but you can get it from Australia completely unlocked for full price. My question is; does anyone know if out of the 5 initial countries any one of them has unlocked iPhones (France, UK, Germany or Japan)?

15. spicyj macrumors member

16. KingOfPwnage thread starter macrumors member

again, not asking for a fully unlocked iphone 4, just want to know if i can preorder it tomorrow (or after it launches) without signing up for at&t and paying the full price...

17. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

If it's like the last 2 phone launches, even no-comitment pricing requires you to be an AT&T customer to purchase. They lift this restriction about 6 or 8 months in. You cannot buy one tomorrow without being on or signing up for AT&T.

18. JasO macrumors regular

Check the store tomorrow and see if you can... I doubt you will though.

Maybe when they're released you can go to the AT&T store and pick up a no commitment iPhone 4.

If you want an Apple officially unlocked iPhone 4 you will have to get it from overseas, places like Australia, Singapore and others that you'll have to search for.

19. JRML970 macrumors member

Wrong (2nd time, different thread). At the 3GS launch last year I waited for the unlock to be released. Once it was announced by the dev-team (less than a week after the 3GS launch) I went to my local Apple store a bought one at the contract free pricing. 10 days exactly after the official launch date of the 3GS I purchased my iPhone 3GS without any contract from AT&T and was on my merry way. For those wanting to unlock the new iPhone 4 I'd suggest waiting for confirmation from the dev-team or Geohot that the unlock is possible and then grabbing one from your local Apple Store.

20. KingOfPwnage thread starter macrumors member

that thread was super-useful, thanks dude. good luck in getting one tomorrow. i think i may just wait a week or two after launch and buy it straight up from the apple store

21. Resist macrumors 68030

And again, yes you can buy a new iPhone without an AT&T contract. You just have to pay the full unsubsidized price.