Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john1620b

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
I find the glossy screens unusable for me in a work environment, and really prefer to have 15" of screen real estate. However, the cheapest version for this combination in a new model is $1950, which is a lot of money if you don't need the newest processor and graphics card.

Does anyone have any suggestions on good places to find non-refurb antiglare versions of the last MBP model? I could settle for a refurb, but they're definitely not my top choice.

xpected_one

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Texas
I find the glossy screens unusable for me in a work environment, and really prefer to have 15" of screen real estate. However, the cheapest version for this combination in a new model is $1950, which is a lot of money if you don't need the newest processor and graphics card.

Does anyone have any suggestions on good places to find non-refurb antiglare versions of the last MBP model? I could settle for a refurb, but they're definitely not my top choice.

Is there a specific reason you dont want to go refurb? Apple refurbs are a pretty darn good deal IMO.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities

There's nothing wrong with a refurb. It's a brand new laptop but government regulations say if it has a part from a returned item it can't be sold as new. They take out anything bad and replace it just like new. If anything you're getting a better computer.

john1620b

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
Yeah, I'm starting to reconsider getting a refurb machine. Everyone has excellent things to say of Apple's refurb's, and it might be the only way to get a decently priced antiglare 15". I'd still prefer to go new, but I can't seem to find anyone that has them (probably due to the all the supply constraints over the last few weeks).

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
The Apple Store near me has the old models for about $200-300 (or something like that) less than the new version for 2-3 days, then they will send them back to Apple. I assume that the online store will have a clearance sale, for about the same $200-300 less, which is about the same as the refurb prices.

john1620b

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
The Apple Store near me has the old models for about $200-300 (or something like that) less than the new version for 2-3 days, then they will send them back to Apple. I assume that the online store will have a clearance sale, for about the same $200-300 less, which is about the same as the refurb prices.
Thanks for the info. I was going to give my local store a call today, but didn't get around to it. I better do it tomorrow, then.

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
I was thinking about selling my last year's maxed MBP (i7, high res matte)

It's only a few months old and in brand new condition (original packaging, no damage in any way shape or form)

were you interested?

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion, but I already did and they don't have any anti-glare models cheaper than Apple.

there a 1399 antiglare high res model on the refurb site..last generation with the i5...problem is is goes fast...

I put one in my cart tonight..went to check out and it was gone...

good deal if you can snag one.

john1620b

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
I was thinking about selling my last year's maxed MBP (i7, high res matte)

It's only a few months old and in brand new condition (original packaging, no damage in any way shape or form)

were you interested?
I think I'm only interested in the base model of the last version (i5 2.4GHz), but thanks for the offer.

buckwheat987 said:
there a 1399 antiglare high res model on the refurb site..last generation with the i5...problem is is goes fast...

I put one in my cart tonight..went to check out and it was gone...

good deal if you can snag one.
I know, I saw that this morning! I'm supposed to be on refurb.me's e-mail notification, but I never got notified. I think I'll just hold out for now and hope they get more in stock.

I'm also considering getting a glossy one with an anti-reflective film for the screen and an inexpensive matte monitor for work at home. I just hate the glossy so much, I'm afraid it would still bother me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.