Where to get Linux for Arduino IDE?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by nelly22, Apr 21, 2015.

1. nelly22 macrumors 6502

I need to run Arduino IDE and i would like to do it in Linux.

I have never used Linux before.

I would like to find some live cd or whatever which i can install in MacBook Pro to external hard drive and then install Java and then Arduino IDE. There is not internet available in this MBP so installations should work without net.

What Linux i should choose and where i can download it?

What if i would like to have both Yosemite and Linux in same external hard drive?

2. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

I've done a fair amount of Arduino work through the OS X IDE, tachometers, angle measurement, motor drives, blinking LED's etc. It works, but serial interaction between Mac and Arduino is far from ideal. Recently got Debian/Gnome up on a spare drive. it takes a lot of internet access, and is not a trivial install. Not sure how well the Arduino IDE works on that set up yet as I'm still getting the kinks out.

With limited internet access, you might consider going the Raspberry Pi --> Arduino route.
    The Raspberry Pi 2 can be purchased with a prebuilt Linux OS (Raspbian) on an SD card, and a little bit of internet will get you Arduino IDE on the same SD.

3. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Vendors of Debian CDs
    In my limited experience, Linux and OS X do not play well together on the same physical hard drive.

4. dyt1983, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: to remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.