Where to get Logic effects, instruments, loops, etc.. "lite"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bashveank, Apr 24, 2008.

1. bashveank macrumors member

So I'm ordering a MacBook Pro and I'll be running Logic Pro on it, but I really don't want to eat up my disk space with 50GBs of stuff that I'll probably never use. I will use some, however, so is there a package I can buy of only the most common effects, loops, instruments, etc... I'm almost completely new to the Mac, does GarageBand come with some content, is it any good, and can it be used in Logic?

Thanks.

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

First off, welcome to Mac's! I also have a MBP, and used Garage Band initially (love it!) and have recently moved to Logic Pro (love it even more!). The loops are interchangeable between them, yes. Those that aren't can be converted in a program that comes with your MBP, called Apple Loop Utility.

Since you'll be using a MBP, you'll have a firewire 800 port, and can purchase an external hard drive at this speed in order to store your loop files. If you get a good drive (I recommend a G-tech), you can utilize them in real time within the programs. Another (better) option, is to get an expresscard SATA port, and get an eSATA drive for the same purpose. This way you don't overwhelm your main hard drive with loop collections, and can organize them by use in folders, for quick searching/locating.

Both programs come with loop collections, and Logic Pro will keep you busy for a while, without purchasing any 3rd party loops. Once you reach the point of needing more, or find you need something more specific to a project, you can buy loop collections at several online music stores. I'll link you to some I've used:

Sweetwater

Musicans Friend

That's just a drop in the bucket of what's out there. There are also sites that allow free downloads of loops, and those that have fee based downloading. On top of that, you can create your own loops. I suggest getting a midi keyboard that's usb bus powered, as well as the option to plug into the wall, and experiment, and have fun. You can record in both programs as well. I wish you the best, and know you'll be astonished by the abilities of both GarageBand and Logic Pro. BTW, here is a link to the thread for discussing topics related to music creation on macs. You can get more information there as well. :)

3. bashveank thread starter macrumors member

Ok cool, thank you very much, you've been very helpful!