Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Helloha

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
Hello, need to replace my 2012 retina MacBook Pro battery. Anyone know a reliable source to get one? In the past I have purchased iPhone batteries that were sold as new but were actually old ones... even had a dud from ifixit as the iPhone battery lasted only marginally longer then the old one....

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The only supported way to replace your battery is to service it at Apple or their service partners. The battery is not user-replaceable. The is also no way for an end customer to purchase a battery like that, even if you are skilled enough and have the nessessary tools.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
The only supported way to replace your battery is to service it at Apple or their service partners. The battery is not user-replaceable. The is also no way for an end customer to purchase a battery like that, even if you are skilled enough and have the nessessary tools.

necessary tool = a credit card + a plastic ruler to remove the battery
[doublepost=1478298957][/doublepost]
Is it really that impossible? They sell them at ifixit...

Not at all. You need a credit card and a plastic ruler to remove the battery.

Helloha

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
necessary tool = a credit card + a plastic ruler to remove the battery
[doublepost=1478298957][/doublepost]

Not at all. You need a credit card and a plastic ruler to remove the battery.
Do you happen to have any references for stores? Thanks!

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Do you happen to have any references for stores? Thanks!

I get mine from eBay.

If you purchase with a credit card, you can dispute the payment for 6 months.

Anyway, I think 6 months is an adequate amount of time to figure out if the battery works well or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.